“Mayfest” to Feature Variety of Musical Talents at WHS

Mayfest to Feature Variety of Musical Talents at WHS

Rob Sickler, Co-Managing Editor

One of the many great things about the Weedsport music program are its many events and performances that take place throughout the school year. This year marks the third annual Mayfest music and cultural festival held at the Auburn Public Theater. This event, not surprisingly, is held in May and features over 20 student bands and performers. Mayfest is special as it takes place on three different stages throughout the theater complex and is scheduled in such a way that music can always be found being performed at any time throughout the festival.

This year in particular is going to be special as the Artist and Event Management class is spearheading the planning for the event. Weedsport students have planned out all of the events, operate sound, lighting and the PR for this event. This year will also feature many exhibited art pieces created by Weedsport student artists and will be catered by local restaurants. Student bands like Have You Heard, Jay and Sam’s Jams, and Chris and the Pros will all be performing at Mayfest.

I recently asked Weedsport senior Kaitlin Root and junior Connor VanEpps about their Mayfest experiences. I asked them why an event like Mayfest is important. Kaitlin responded by saying that Mayfest is a really good experience for the music students. They are so used to performing in a classroom and transitioning from that to being on stage is thrilling and an awesome experience that will prepare the students interested in a career in music for their future. I asked Connor, as someone who has performed in public many times, what is going through his head when performing on stage. Connor replied saying that it is just fun. He enjoys being able to play music with his friends for an audience. Getting the listeners hyped up is just a fun time for everyone

I then finished by asking them to give some of the newer performers some advice about performing on stage in front of an audience. Connor responded saying, “Don’t think so uncomfortably, a lot of people get up on stage for the first time and get an anxious energy and assume people think they are imperfect. They won’t. The fact you can get up their on stage shows that people will be excited for you.”

At the end of the day Mayfest is about having fun. It is a chance to share what you have learned about music to your friends and families. It is a chance to perform with your friends up on stage and get recognized for all the hard work you have put into learning music. It’s a festival not a trial, having fun is why we play music.