Who’s it Going to Be? Theories on Who Died in Walking Dead Finale

Chris Chalker, Staff Writer

And… you… are… it…

It seems like it was so long ago that those chilling words were used before someone’s life was brutally taken. With just a few days before season seven premieres, and months of speculation and theories, it’s finally time to sit down, review the evidence and figure out one of the biggest mysteries in The Walking Dead to date, who Negan has killed.

Let’s figure out who Weedsport thinks Negan has killed.

I have interviewed various students and teachers for their input on who they feel was the unfortunate soul who got up close and personal with Negan and Lucille in the last few seconds of the finale. I will also provide background evidence and other information to build cases for all 11 people in the line.

Spoilers Ahead! Do not read further unless you have seen season six of The Walking Dead or do not mind it being spoiled! Read at your own risk! (Spoilers from the comics ahead too)

Rick Grimes?

Likelihood: 1/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Rick:

Rick has been the main character for 6 seasons, why would the twist cliffhanger be resolved with his death? After all, this is his story and has been for six years. Rick will likely lead the charge against Negan in season seven, so him being the one who bit the dust seems very unlikely. One of Negan’s last lines also proves that it can’t be Rick. The line “if anybody moves, anybody says anything, take the boy’s other eye out and feed it to his father and then we’ll start…” makes no sense if Rick is being beaten to death with a giant bat, it’s not like Negan is going to stop beating him to death just to feed him an eye and then go back to hitting him. On top of this, the season seven sneak peek shows Rick alive and well.

Evidence against Rick:

Rick has been super arrogant, thinking he and his group could easily take out Negan and the Saviors and that decision needs to cost him and those around him. What better way to tear their group apart then to kill the leader? On top of this, Negan seems to like being in control, so taking out the other power in the opposing group would fit. Also, as a scare tactic, this might work, taking out Rick would likely scare the survivors in his group to work for Negan like he wants them to.

I interviewed Alexis Rivers last year and she gave some insight as to why she believed Rick died

Alexis: This is tough to answer… I mean they didn’t catch anyone that sucks, you know? I mean they got all of the good people. I feel like, because Negan feels like a power vs power kind of guy, that it could be Rick. I mean Negan seems to want to be in control and his way to do that is take out the other leader.

Carl Grimes?

Likelihood: 1/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Carl:

Carl is an option, but it seems very unlikely that he was killed. Carl is likely spared due to a few things in itself. For one, Negan looked down on everyone and only got eye level with Carl, while this may seem insignificant, Carl and Negan share this strange bond in the comic series. One of Negan’s lines is: “If anybody moves, anybody says anything, cut the boy’s (Carl’s) other eye out and feed to to his father and then we’ll start…”. This line makes no sense if he is beating Carl to death, otherwise he is going to rip the eye out after he has already smashed his face in with a barbed wire bat. Also thanks to the sneak peek, we see blood on only one side of Rick’s face and Carl is not on this side. Also going off of the sneak peek

Evidence against Carl:

Carl did have a gun from the Saviors, which, ironically enough had Lucille scratched into the side. Carl also locked Enid into that closet and promised to return and that he would be alright. It’s also worth noting that killing Carl would tear Rick down and bring him to the same level as Negan.

Daryl Dixon?

Likelihood: 4/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Daryl:

Daryl’s actor, Norman Reedus, has been seen filming on set and it was explained that Daryl is to be held captive by the Saviors post the lineup killing, thus eliminating him almost definitely from being the one who died. Unless of course Norman just toyed with fans and provided false hope for his character. Daryl has and always will be the biggest and most popular character in The Walking Dead and it is his popularity that has kept him alive for seven seasons according to AMC, his popularity has allowed AMC to make tons of money off of Daryl-related merchandise and according to AMC, this money is the only reason he is still around now.

Evidence against Daryl:

Daryl has been taunted by one of Negan’s men, Dwight, for most of the season. Dwight is responsible for the death of Dr. Denise Cloyd (Abraham Ford in the comics) and he has had a twisted rivalry with Daryl since they met. When Daryl, Sasha and Abraham are stopped in the road in the episode “No Way Out”, Daryl takes out the men on the road with an RPG, if you look closely in the background, a van is seen driving away in the same scene. While this could be a continuity mistake, it is worth noting that this could be a van fun of Negan’s men or even have Negan himself in it, either way, if this is not a continuity error, then Daryl, Sasha and Abraham seem likely to go, but maybe not…

I interviewed Tim Reeves last year and he revealed his thoughts on why he thinks it’s Daryl that died.

Tim: I don’t want it to be Daryl, but I have a feeling that it could be. I really don’t want it to be, but with the situation, he seems likely. He’s a big guy and he’s a fan favorite.

Michonne?

Likelihood: 5/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Michonne: Take a look at the season seven sneak peek if you haven’t already, Rick’s reaction to Michonne dying, especially like this, should be a lot more emotional. That and Michonne has sat on the sidelines for a little bit now. She’s made her way into the Grimes family, but that was really all that we got to see of her in season six. Michonne is a beloved character, but it doesn’t seem to fit.

Evidence that proves that it is Michonne:

“Richonne” just happened earlier in season 6, Michonne’s death seems unlikely at this point, but it could happen as it would be a great way to tear Rick down mentally and emotionally and push him to an extreme. Think about it, this would be the second girlfriend Rick has had that died shortly after they hooked up. On top of that, every point of view shot was from one of the four people in the truck at the end, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn and Rosita. The point of view shots were all from Michonne’s perspective.

Maggie Greene?

Likelihood: 7/10

Evidence the proves it’s not Maggie:

The comic version has Maggie watching Glenn die this exact same way and although it seems unlikely that the will copy the comics exactly in that scene, that doesn’t mean that someone else won’t bite the dust in Glenn’s place (as we all know, the tv series isn’t afraid of straying away from the comics and there are tons of examples of this). On top of that, Maggie and Glenn have been through so much this season. Maggie thinking that she had lost Glenn very early on and grieving.

Evidence that proves that it is Maggie:

Maggie has been toyed with this whole season. She was revealed to be pregnant early on and it has changed her. Her pregnancy should be far different in the show than in the comics and I personally find it doubtable that even if Maggie survives the line, that her baby will too. If you want to go for terms of tragic, why not kill Maggie and her baby in front of Glenn, which would be a total change from the comics. On top of that, Maggie has stepped up and while Rick is invincible, that doesn’t mean that Negan, who we have already established as a power vs power figure, would spare her. Maggie has bonded with Aaron and Carol as well, even assuming Carol’s role of being cold and ruthless in one episode. Maggie has also had to deal with losing Glenn when she thought he was dead early in the season, this could be ironically foreshadowing her own demise and how the roles reverse. It’s also worth saying that when the group is at the Savior’s’ stronghold after they made a deal with the Hilltop, Glenn comes across several photos of battered Lucille victims, which could be foreshadowing Maggie dying in front of him. When Negan went to hit Maggie and Glenn reacted in the finale, Negan seemed happy that he got a reaction and Glenn’s reaction may have sealed her fate. Maggie was the one who negotiated the deal with The Hilltop Colony that caused all of this to even transpire. It seems fitting, after a speech that Glenn gave earlier this season about losing people you love, that this could be Glenn’s major motivation to take Negan down and could cause Glenn to be headstrong and get him into trouble in season seven.

Glenn Rhee?

Likelihood: 1/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Glenn: The most over said theory is that the writers finally offed Glenn. Glenn, the guy who literally has escaped death at least twice last season. Sure Glenn has been a major character since the beginning, but anyone who follows the comics should know that Glenn suffers this fate and is the kine killed by Negan, that makes this theory that much more unbelievable. They gave us months to try and figure this out and keep us hooked for season seven and then they mimic the comics? That’s a cop out to some.

Evidence that proves it is Glenn: Well, for starters, Glenn has evaded death twice last season. Once when Nicholas committed suicide and Glenn was forced under a dumpster and a second time when he was saving Maggie in Alexandria, when the walkers “stormed” the area. It may be time for him to finally bite the dust, in front of his closest friends and his wife, who is having complications with his baby. Maggie’s pregnancy also adds fuel to the fire, where he shouldn’t live to see his child because irony loves to screw people over, especially on The Walking Dead. Comic fans also know that Glenn suffers this unfortunate fate and who’s to say they didn’t do it again?

Abraham Ford?

Likelihood: 7/10

Evidence that proves it isn’t Abraham: Again, it’s Abraham, the only people that will be upset by his death will be Eugene, Rosita, Sasha, maybe Daryl and probably Rick. That’s not enough reaction. The sneak peek has us hear crying and we can tell that it was someone important, more so than Abraham. Again, Robert Kirkman said that it was a beloved character that dies, and Abraham certainly isn’t one of the beloved characters. Abraham’s story just seems to be starting too, so killing him doesn’t seem to fit the direction the narrative is heading.

Evidence proves it is Abraham: Abraham fits the bill for the type of person Negan should kill. He’s healthy, he’s well respected, he showed he wasn’t intimidated by him, he’s arguably the strongest in Rick’s group, especially now that Daryl is injured. Abraham also has the strength to look up after being hit once, which is shown to be what happens when Negan hits his victim. Abraham also started a recent relationship with Sasha Williams, and everyone who gets close to that girl dies very quickly.

I interviewed both Masen Lamphere and Kody Swartwood on why they thought Abraham was killed.

Kody: I feel like Abraham has a lot going for him. He’s been talking about settling down with Sasha. He broke up with Rosita to get together with Sasha. And he’s a big guy. I feel like he could… take a hit and “take it like a champ”. I just… hope that he could take the bat so that no one else in that line has to.

Masen: Abraham just seems like the type of person that is able to take a hit like that, you know? I think he can take a hit like that first one and then look back up. If it was Maggie then she probably wouldn’t get back up like the victim did because she’s sick, she’s weak and she’s emotional. I just feel like she wouldn’t be able to get back up after the first hit. And even someone like Daryl, who is very strong probably wouldn’t either because he is injured.

Aaron?

Likelihood: 3/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Aaron: Aaron has played a background character for a while now. He isn’t important enough to be the sole lineup kill. Again, the sneak peek shows blood on Rick’s face and Aaron is not on the right side for this to work. Aaron brought the group to Alexandria and helped (indirectly) put them on the path to where they are now, but his character is just there for lip service. Aaron is also not a beloved character and is almost indefinitely ruled out.

Evidence that proves it is Aaron: Thanks to a photo shoot, we got to see a clay model of Aaron, who is on his knees.  While this may be planned for a completely different scene, it’s still a possibility. Aaron helped out there people on this path, directly or indirectly, he’s played a big role as far as that goes.

Eugene Porter?

Likelihood: 4/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Eugene: Eugene just started to step up, he has a bullet manufacturing plan, he has started to step up and take out walkers and humans and be less of a coward about things. He’s also just mended things with Abraham. Along with this, Eugene is not a beloved character and is ruled out almost definitely.

Evidence that proves it is Eugene: Eugene handed Abraham the “recipe for bullets” before he boldly chose to drive away on his own and distract the Saviors, allowing the others to get Maggie the medical help she needed, Eugene obviously didn’t get far, but this bold move makes his character much more appreciated by fans. He also fixed things with Abraham. It seems like an appropriate way to end his story. Eugene has also stepped up and shown that he can do what he needs to to survive.

Rosita Espinosa?

Likelihood: 3/10

Evidence that proves it’s not Rosita: Rosita has just started her rise to importance. She was present when Dr. Denise Cloyd was murdered by Dwight, she helped the former and Daryl Dixon get to the apothecary to get much needed medical supplies. Rosita also recently broke up with Abraham Ford and got together with Spencer Monroe, although that might not last. Rosita also went Daryl to find Dwight after Denise’s death. All of this is minor, but major at the same time, as this all is key to what is to come.

Evidence that proves it is Rosita: Rosita was present when Dr. Denise died, maybe Dwight passed that information along and she could be a target. Rosita just ended things with Abraham and started a new relationship with Spencer, but who knows if it will last.

Sasha Williams?

Likelihood: 3/10

Evidence that proves it isn’t Sasha:

Hasn’t Sasha suffered enough already? She lost her boyfriend, Bob, a while back. Then she lost her brother, Tyreese not shortly after. Them she lost her “rival”, Noah. Anyone who gets close to this woman dies. But Abraham is still alive. Maybe irony wants to hit her again by having Negan take Abraham’s life. Sasha isn’t a beloved character and according to Robert Kirkman, one of the “beloved characters” bites the dust.

Evidence that proves it is Sasha: Sasha has had such a hard life as of recently. Her boyfriend dies, then her brother dies, is she next? As mentioned earlier, she did start a new relationship and, as we all know, The Walking Dead thrives on irony. Her relationship with Abraham is moving and fast, fast enough that they have already started talking about settling down and having kids. It seems fitting that Negan would take out a strong woman like Sasha, who has been primarily independent for a while now. Sasha was also present when Daryl fired the RPG and killed a group of Negan’s men, meaning if the van is not a continuity mistake, she may be a target.

The evidence against all 11 characters is very overwhelming and can be hard to take in, so let’s review…

Rick Grimes

Evidence for:

• Main protagonist
  • Likely not going to die as he seems more likely to lead the charge against Negan
  • Rick has some form of a tie with each person in this line and each person will affect and change him in a different way

Evidence against: Not much.

Carl Grimes

Evidence for:

• Rick’s son
  • In the comics, he forms a special yet odd bond with Negan
  • Negan looked down on everyone else except Carl

Evidence against

• Him and Enid seem to be becoming a couple
  • Carl told Enid that he would return to Alexandria, could be ironic foreshadowing

Maggie Green

Evidence for:

• Spared in the comics due to Negan’s refusal to kill women
  • Sick
  • Pregnant
  • The blood on Rick’s face would be much larger if it was her (in theory)

Evidence against:

• Pregnant and there is already one baby in the group
  • Glenn is present, making her death that much more traumatic
  • She is sick and Negan said he needs them to work for him
  • Rick’s face has blood on it in the Season 7 Sneak Peek

Michonne

Evidence for:

• In the comics, Negan doesn’t kill women.
  • Just started a relationship with Rick
  • Wasn’t a “big player” this season

Evidence against:

• Hooked up with Rick
  • Didn’t play a major role this season

Glenn Rhee

Evidence for:

• Multiple near death/fake death experiences this season alone
  • Went out to look for Daryl, leading to his capture
  • Almost died to save Maggie (ironically could happen this way or the other way around)

Evidence against:

• Maggie is pregnant with his child
  • Glenn seems to have a lot going for him
  • Could die to save or protect Maggie

Daryl Dixon

Evidence for:

• Injured
  • Weakened
  • Rick’s right hand man
  • Too popular to kill off

Evidence against:

• Left to avenge Denise after her death
  • Injured
  • Weakened
  • Rick’s right hand man
  • His popularity would make his death tragic

Aaron

Evidence for:

• Not too important
  • Little relevance to the story
  • Not a big player in last season

Evidence against:

• Helped set the group on this path
  • Not important enough to be the cliffhanger resolution

Rosita Espinosa

Evidence for:

• Little involvement in last season
  • Not a very important character
  • Just hooked up with Spencer

Evidence against:

• Little importance to series in general
  • Ended her relationship with Abraham

Abraham Ford

Evidence for:

• Not important enough to be the sole death for the cliffhanger
  • Not a fan favorite, which we were told one of our favorites is gone.
  • Has more story to tell

Evidence against:

• Just got together with Sasha
  • Has stepped up this season a lot
  • Big guy, would be able to take a hit from Lucille and get back up

Finally, a review of everyone’s theories on who was killed

Masen Lamphere’s Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: Abraham would be one of the only people who would look back up at Negan when hit. Maggie is sick and wouldn’t, Daryl is injured. Abraham also has the thickest bone density and therefore would face Negan as he gets hit and come back up.

Kody Swartwood’s Theory

Eugene

Carl  

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: Abraham can probably take a hit and come back and look back up, or as Negan said “take it like a champ”. Abraham has had some major development recently and he has been advancing in his relationship with Sasha, almost a little bit too fast.

My Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: It’s a perfect way to cripple Rick’s group, it gets rid of a main character in a tragic way, it eliminates a leader figure in the group, it also forces Rick and the others to trust more people and/or trust new people. Also would make Glenn emotional and unstable and could likely lead to him making poor or dangerous choices to settle the score.

Brandon Webster’s Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: Glenn has had some good things going for him. He’s survived numerous near death situations and he has been happy lately. On top of that, Maggie is pregnant, which means it would cripple her emotionally if he died. Maggie is probably gone anyways, so killing her is pointless.

Aubrey Ouderkirk’s Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham and/or Daryl

Michonne

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: Just her guess.

Elizabeth Jones’ Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: She’s pregnant and sick. Her time to go.

Alexis Rivers’ Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: Negan feels like a power vs power kind of person and it seems like he could take Rick out because of that.

Tim Reeves’ Theory

Eugene

Carl

Aaron

Sasha

Rick

Maggie

Abraham

Michonne

Daryl

Rosita

Glenn

Reasoning: Daryl is Rick’s right hand man and it would be crippling to the group to lose Daryl and it would be an equally devastating blow to fans as well.