Catching Up With Weedsport Allumi: PJ Piascik

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

Many people know the “big names” of alumnus from Weedsport, such as Bridgid Bibbens, Amy Sanchez, and Roger Jordan. However, not as many people might know the local alumnus who stuck around Weedsport, and are making a huge impact in their profession. One of those people is Patrick “PJ” Piascik, who graduated in 2010 and has been consistently involved in the world of sports in a number of ways.

“It was awesome, it’s just what you did, what you did growing up, and it just got more competitive,” said Piascik on playing sports here at Weedsport. “Just all of basketball collectively [was my favorite memory]…we didn’t have a great team, so it’s hard to have a glorious memory.”

PJ was an athlete when he attended Weedsport. He played basketball, and baseball. Ironically, he came back to Weedsport in the past couple years to help coach and be the scorekeeper of the varsity boys basketball team, and help with the modified girls squad.

“I got into [coaching] right after I graduated. I got into CCYO and stuff,” said Piascik. “I just found that I loved it. Playing wasn’t really going to work out. I got to coach the modified girl’s team, and it was cool working with the varsity boys this year.” His varsity team, with the help of other Weedsport Alumni, Matt Lipiska, went 7-11, a rough season due to “ACL Tear Galore.”

Piascik was also a sports management major, and attended Onondaga Community College; but changed his major to English and is finishing up at SUNY Oswego to study. He is an avid writer, and loves to write about sports, especially the NBA.

“It’s way more diverse than here, that’s just kind of a given. I like it. Going to OCC was cool,” said Piascik on colleges. “At Oswego it’s been a little different, while it’s not perfect, and it’s so much more like here at home.” The college experience at SUNY Oswego is a lot different than Weedsport, with a total enrollment of about 7,000 people; compared to the average 60 people per class in Weedsport.

PJ also spends some time working at the Millstone Golf Course in Auburn, New York. He is a desk person there, and many students who golf there see him working a lot.

Recently, he joined the national news site “Rant Sports,” where he writes sports. He’s a sports writer, with a couple articles up. One of his first articles that was posted on social media was about New York Knicks, and their coaching situation and why fans should be happy he is there.

“I guess all throughout high school I wanted to be a teacher, and I just had a change of heart through college. My friend was writing for Rant Sports, and he tried to get me to do it. I joined, and there was really no interview process. Just show them my work, and stuff. That was cool. I’ve only published four articles.” said PJ. “I like it because I get to write with my own opinion, unlike other sports news. It’s just like a blog, and I can post my own feelings, with agreement or not.”

While you don’t see PJ Piascik on billboards saying “Concert In Weedsport!” or seeing him on the athletic hall of fame; but he’s definitely a graduate that is going to be remembered by Weedsport High School. With coaching, writing, and more – he’s an alumni for the record books!