Halloween Attractions Near You

Taylor Ashby, Staff Writer

As Halloween creeps up on us, it would be beneficial for students to know about all about the creepy, scary and fun halloween attractions near us. As teenagers it’s pretty much the norm to want to go on haunted hayrides and  walk through haunted houses.

In Fulton, there is a haunted hayride called the 13th Hour. It costs 13 dollars for entry per person, and has been called creepy, edgy,and original. The suggested ages were nine and up. The gates open at 6:30 and it ends at 10p.m. on Oct.3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 17th, 18th, 24th and 25th.

That’s not the only opportunity you have to be spooked this fall.  In Liverpool, there is a haunted house known as Raven Haven. It is free and appropriate for all ages.  It includes 11 haunting attractions that can be tamed down for younger children, or just as scary for the older ones. The gates open at 7p.m. and close whenever the crowd dies down. It’s open on Oct. 17th, 18th, 24th, 25th, and 31st.

Probably the most popular attraction for Weedsport students is, Fright Nights at the Fair located at the New York State Fairgrounds. It’s opening up a new attraction this year called the Clown Prison, the only indoor haunted hayride in the country. Fright Night is open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights throughout the month of October. Hayrides and haunted houses are not recommended for children under the age of nine. Fright Night also offers many concession stands, and mini carnival rides that aren’t scary for any younger children.

Another well known scare is the Finger Lakes Mall Monster Maze. The maze is open October 10th, 11th, 17th, 18th, 24th and 25th from 6p.m. – 9p.m. Admission is 6 dollars at the door. October 17th is the five year anniversary celebration of the Mall Monster Maze and entry is bumped down to 5 dollars.

There’s also a Throop Haunted Trail, located at Town Hall, 7471 Robinson Rd. in Auburn. It includes a haunted trail and a not-so-scary hayride. Any kids, ages two and up, are allowed. Go and get your scare on for 7 dollars per person or 22 dollars for four people. All the proceeds go to the Wounded Warrior project. Event dates are Oct. 24th, 25th, 31st, and Nov. 1st. Hours of the haunted trail are  7p.m. -9:30p.m.

Also in Fulton there is a haunted house/ haunted trail called Frightmare Farms. It is a 2012-2013 award winning attraction. Tickets are sold 7-10p.m. on Oct. 17th, 18th, 24th, and 25th. It is located at 4816 State Route 49, Fulton NY. 13069. Admission is 13 dollars for the house, and you can upgrade to the outdoor mine field for just 5 dollars more. Any person 9 years or older may come and enjoy the haunting scares.

Weedsport freshman, Jalen Flaherty, is working at the Owasco Fright Night Mansion located in Owasco near the fire house. It’s a haunted maze that goes all the way until the end of October every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Hours are from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. There is no age limit. Admission is 6 dollars or you can bring 5 dollars worth of canned goods, which benefits the Calvary Food Pantry. If you aren’t into the whole scary theme, Flaherty suggested to grab a light up lantern so the people inside know not to scare you, or if you like scary, but not terrifying you could grab a flashlight so the workers don’t scare too much.

There are many opportunities to be spooked around here this fall! The Johnny Green hopes you have a safe and scary Halloween.