The PALS Program

Deb Brown, Staff Writer

Cayuga county has a program for 11th and 12th grade students called BOCES. Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES services nine school districts; Auburn, Cato-Meridian, Jordan-Elbridge, Moravia, Port Byron, Southern Cayuga, Skaneateles, Union Springs, and Weedsport. BOCES provides an equal opportunity for individuals in our communities to obtain an education and earn skills. BOCES recognizes leadership out of the five district superintendents, who were involved in the success of schools for the supervisory and continued improvement of the BOCES program. One of the programs that BOCES has is called PALS ( Plant, Animal, and Life Science).

I talked to Weedsport student Lillie Janes, who goes to BOCES and does PALS. The first question that I asked Lillie was what’s a typical day like? She describes how they split the class in half, and half of the class is in the animal room taking care of the animals and the other half of the class is in the lab, cleaning up from the day before. They also take notes, cut flowers, learn how to vaccinate animals, and make flower arrangements. On Tuesdays they do dog grooming, and in the fall and spring they plant flowers.

Another question that I asked Lillie was could this be a career for someone someday? Lillie told me that people can become a vet tech, dog groomer,or florists. This program helps you get ready for Agriculture.

I asked Lillie why she chose this program and she said that she wants to become a veterinarian, or minor in animal grooming.

For a student to get into the PALS program they would have to talk to Mr. Yorio. Tell him that you want to go into this program. You also have to keep your grades up.

Lillie said that in the PALS program you go on field trips to farms to learn about how to take care of farms. You also do a lot of hands on activities.