Weedsport Graduates of Distinction

Rob Sickler, Staff Writer

Throughout Weedsport Central School’s long history, many of the students who attended this school grew up to become notable people. These men and women have earned their place in the Weedsport’s history. These people are recognized here in the school building with their very own hall dedicated to their actions, located right across from the District Office.

Although many people pass by this area on a daily basis, and a few people may even know or have known those individuals personally, many do not know the stories and accomplishments of Weedsport’s finest. One such person was Paul D. Parkman, M.D. Mr. Parkman was the first to isolate the Rubella Virus and develop a reliable test for rubella immunity. In 1965, he also developed and tested the first successful rubella vaccine. Wide use of rubella vaccines since 1969 has eliminated both epidemic and endemic rubella as well as their resulting birth defects from the United States. He authored over 90 scientific papers over the course of his 30 year career.

Another Weedsport graduate was Ella Joyce Schoonmaker. She made many contributions to the Weedsport school and community. As a skilled and galleried artist, she has painted murals for local theater groups, the school, and churches around Weedsport throughout the 1970s-80s. It was Ella Joyce Schoonmaker who designed the school logo in 1932. She was also a founding member of the Old Brutus Historical Society in 1967.

In the year 2013, LaVerne F. Wallace was inducted into this hall of fame. Wallace was an engineer whose career in the field of experimental stress analysis enabled him to contribute to the safety and well-being of others. His solutions to failing structures or machinery required accurate analysis, insight, and creative design solutions, such as subway cars derailing in Boston, falling luminaires on the Tri-Borough Bridge, vibration problems with diesel engines on new container ships of the Swedish Johnson Line. He co-founded Sensing Systems Corporation to advance such work.

Some of his important design innovations include: rocket engine test stands at China Lake, CA; a weight and center of gravity system for Kodak space equipment, on which he holds two patents; fingertip sensors that enable a robotic hand to have full human feeling and capability which was featured on a National Geographic cover.

There have been many other people who have earned their place in Weedsport’s history, and an article like this in no way does them justice by giving them the recognition they deserve. The individuals in that Hall of Distinction were incredible human beings and excellent role models for anyone aspiring to have a positive impact on the world. It is good to look back on the heroes of the past in order to inspire the people of the future.