Be Careful Behind the Wheel This Summer

Be Careful Behind the Wheel This Summer

Jalen Flaherty, Staff Writer

It’s officially summer! Exams are coming to an end and you can officially relax. However, before you think about that, there are some important things that need to be addressed to keep every student happy, and especially safe, this summer. I’m talking about being safe when you’re driving.

You don’t know how many times I’ve heard from adults that everyone is way more reckless on the road when the weather is nice. Usually, I just nod and go along with my day, but the more I’ve been driving this summer the more I realize it’s completely true. For whatever reason, people (especially students) can’t wrap their head around the fact that they aren’t invincible. I’m here to tell you that you aren’t. Maybe it’s because I’ve seen or heard of way too many innocent people being a victim of a terrible car crash that could’ve been avoided.

There are several distractions that allow our eyes to deviate from where they should be, but especially among students, texting is a top contender. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drivers under the age of 20 have greater risk to be involved in distraction-related crashes. It’s incredible how common this actually is, and I for one am always glued to my phone, but we need to ask ourselves if it’s worth taking a life.

Our lives are just beginning. The amount of opportunities placed in front of us is incredible, and giving that up for a text will not be worth it in the end. Your boyfriend or girlfriend can wait, and you don’t need to look at that tweet at this very moment. If this is challenging to you, try locking your phone away or zipping it in your bag even before hitting the gas.

Aside from distraction-related accidents, driving while under the influence is also continuing to take too many young lives. According to College Drinking Prevention, every year 1,825 students die as a result of alcohol-related injuries in motor vehicle crashes. If you, as a student, really feel the need to drink then at least make sure you do not get into any motor vehicle. Even if you have no regard for your life, at least think of the possibility of hurting someone else. Coming from someone who lost a father and a best friend from drunk driving, I can’t explain enough how serious your actions could affect an entire family.

Now that school is over, there will be plenty of opportunities to be on the road. Visits with friends and family and going to and from work. As a new driver I’m excited for this, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit nervous. There needs to be an understanding that even if we are free from our academic responsibilities over the summer, we still need to drive responsibly.

Be safe this summer and do something fun! When is comes to trips remember that half the fun is getting there as long as you follow the rules of the road. Have an incredible summer from all of us at the Johnny Green!