WHS Boys Track Team Continues to Improve While Chasing Legacy of Success

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

The  Boys’ Weedsport Varsity Track team is looking to continue improving this season as the young team struggles to live up to its strong tradition.

The track team lost a couple good athletes last year, and that will have a big impact on the team. Austin McDeid went to states for the hurdle events, and was a top contender all year. Brad Waselinko was the top “thrower” for the team in shot-put. Those two holes are most likely to be filled easily with athletes this year.

The main thrower filling the position of Waselinko is senior, Matt Fitzgerald. He has shined all season and hopefully will help Weedsport to claim itsrecognition as one of the better track teams in the section.

Junior Nick Jones, and freshmen Riley Spingler and Steve Gilfus look to fill in the void of McDeid as they participate in the sprints, 110 Meter Hurdles, and the 400M hurdles. There are also sprinters looking to fill the void of Josh Balloni.

Many athletes have come back as well. Senior Ricky Liddiard has been consistently in the top of the pack, running the distance races such as the 1600M, and the 3200M.

There are many people this year working on the Pole Vault event, and the High Jump. Two events that are “very important” according to sophomore, Tom Campbell. Those two events are the points that every track team needs.

Now, the boys are 5-2 as they head to the Weedsport Invitational this Saturda