The 2016-2017 Winter Sports Wrap-Up

Ben Grieco, Managing Editor

Varsity Volleyball

Jared Sullivan

RECORD: 7-9 (League: 4-2)

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS: OHSL National Division League Champions, raising $5,000 for the annual Coaches v. Cancer game, Kayla Stock broke the career-record for assists with 715

Last season, the Weedsport Varsity Volleyball team won their first league title since 2010, and went to the first round of sectionals, and lost to a dominant Cooperstown squad. Unfortunately, they also lost team-leaders, Holly Cook and Emily Quinn.

However, this season the girls found the replacement pieces for the puzzle that they lost. Similar to last season, the girls starting to pick up the pace after the Christmas Break, and they started to have a huge change to win the league.

“I believe in both seasons we started out with some of the bigger schools for games and after Christmas started in with a majority of our league games,” said head coach Sandra Donahue. “As much as I don’t like starting the season out with four or five losses, I really believe it helped us be better and gain the confidence we needed.  We also played in a tournament in Cooperstown this past season that was against teams we normally would not see.”

Due to a strong second half of the season, the team was able to bring their second OHSL Patriot National League title for the second straight year, winning against Pulaski, Port Byron, and Cato-Meridian to end the season on a high note.

The girls travelled to sectionals, and unfortunately had the same results as last time. They lost to a strong South Lewis team 3-0. The team graduates five seniors this season.

“I always want to win more of course, and I really would like to get the team to a sectional final game,” concluded Donahue. “Coach Nicklaw has done an amazing job with the JV girls getting them ready and I feel next season we will be even stronger. Getting the girls in the gym over the summer and attending camps will only make the program stronger.”

Varsity Girls Basketball

Jared Sullivan

RECORD: 16-4 (League: 11-3)

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS: Jeslyn Files Breaking 1,000 Points; Winning Holiday Tournament Third Year in a Row

The Varsity Girls Basketball team was looking for many things this year. They were looking for a possible league title against the strong Syracuse Academy of Science team, and possibly to make it down the line in sectionals.

They came up short on both of those goals. The league was once again captured by SAS, and the girls were stunned by No. 13 Sauquoit Valley in the opening round of sectionals. However, they did remain champions of the Cayuga County Tournament.

“Early exit from Sectional play was a disappointment to everyone involved,” said head coach Chris Vargason.

The team also was able to celebrate something else. Jeslyn Files joined the elite 1,000 Point Club for the Girls Basketball banner. She finished up with a total of 1,024 points to claim the fourth position on the banner, right behind Brittany LaForce at 1,035.

The team graduates four seniors this year, all who were key components to the team’s success. Now they look to a younger team to build up the program once again, and hopefully get back to their former dynasty.

“We had another good season,” concluded Vargason.

Varsity Boys Basketball

Jared Sullivan

RECORD: 20-3 (League: 11-1)

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS: Defending League Champions, Christmas Tournament Champions, Jake O’Connor Steals/Assists Single Season Records, Jeff DeJohn 3-Pointers Single Season Record, O’Connor named League Player of the Year, Jack Benedict and Riley Spingler named 1st Team All-League

The Varsity Boys Basketball team ended their season in the Section III Class C Semi-Final against Tully, in an abrupt loss. The season was a great one, however, as they were state ranked throughout most of the season. As of March 7, despite the loss, they were still ranked No. 10 in the state for Class C schools.

The team had an interesting season, as a majority of their team was made up of juniors, so they will hopefully be able to have the same amount of success as last year, if not better. They are able to bring back all five starters.

“We finished short in the section, and this past year our goal was to win the Christmas tournament and compete in the league,” said head coach Jon Sgarlata. “Next year we’re going to have the goal to win sectionals.”

The team was able to capture the Cayuga County Tournament, as well as the League Title against a strong Port Byron team. This was the first time they’ve won the County tournament in three years.

The team graduates one senior, who had a great first, and last, season. They now know where the bar has been set for next year, and hope to raise the standard of play for next season and years to come.

“I felt that if we went 13-7, that would’ve been a really good season,” concluded Sgarlata. “To go 20-3…it was kind of surprise. We had a kind of surprising successful season. We didn’t expect to be 20-3.”

Varsity Swimming and Diving

Jared Sullivan

RECORD: 4-8 (League: 1-5)

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS: 3rd At Class C Championships; Two New School Records; 3 Sectional Champions; 3 of 4 Junior High Students Qualified for Sectionals

The Varsity Swimming and Diving team entered their season with a brand new coach, Dan Walters. He inherited a team with a brand new pool, and a team that has performed decently well in the Section III Class C finals the past four years.

His first season was memorable, as he was not only able to go to sectionals with a lot of swimmers, but also attend State Qualifiers, and the State swim meet. As the first place coach, he also handed out ribbons at sectionals and state qualifiers.

“My first season as head coach went as well as can be expected largely due to the ongoing support from the school, prior coaching staff, the swimmers, and all active Weedsport swimming and diving affiliates,”  said Walters. “I would summarize it as a healthy transitional year for the program.”

The swim team had the Section III Class C diver champion (Dave Sterling), and Macauley Kolonko won the 200 Freestyle and the 500 Freestyle, both at Sectionals and State Qualifiers. The team came in third overall at sectionals.

The team graduates four seniors, but the team looks to be even stronger next year with many returning athletes, and swimmers coming from the modified team. They look to possibly bring back a sectional title soon.

The 2016-2017 season was a successful one despite the team’s record as it has taken many measurable steps to return to it’s history of being a winning program,” said Walters. “We will have high quality leadership roles to fill upon the graduation of this year’s senior class but given the talent coming up, the program is ready for any challenge it is faced with.”