The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

‘Insidious: Chapter 2’ Review ***Warning: There are spoilers below***

In ‘Insidious: Chapter 2’, the duo of James Wan, and Leigh Whannell team up once again to create a sequel to the originally praised horror film, ‘Insidious’.  This second film stars the amazing cast of Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Lin Shaye and Ty Simpkins, who all tell the story of the Lambert family and their terrifying experiences while searching for a secret that leaves them haunted by ghoulish entities.

‘Insidious: Chapter 2’ begins exactly where the first film left off and is immediately much different from the first.  Chapter 1 was far more focused on the spirit realm of the spectrum, while many are saying this new film is more relatable to that of ‘The Shining’, with more time focused on psychological issues within the Lambert clan, but it still maintains its popular ghostly creepiness.  This “creepiness” was again made possible by various techniques.  Whether it be jump scares; such as Renai suddenly being slapped by an outraged motherly spirit, and a terrified ghost-woman running out of Dalton’s closet after whispering to him through a can and piece of string.  Or a new set that is gloomier, foggier, and more depressing than ever.  Or even a secret room in an old abandoned hospital filled with a ghostly bride’s victims, the signature aura of horror made this twin film another success.

The only things that seemed to confuse a few people here and there, were the three or four plots that all intertwined in ‘Insidious: Chapter 2’.  On one hand there was Josh, who was mentally deteriorating at a rapid pace, and going out for blood, or when there was the search to find out who mysteriously killed Elise. Then there was a group of investigators snooping through the scariest hotel someone could think of, and last but not least you have a friend of Elise who randomly sort of pops in at the last second and somehow finds his way into all the previous situations.  One must really use their head to figure this all out, but it seems as though that the sheer scariness of the film somewhat distracted you from this problem.

This leads to the ending that has left fans thirsty for a third installment.  It starts with Elise’s investigators knocking on the door of a family who has been having problems with the supernatural, and suddenly Elise (as a ghost) comes through the front door without being seen, and saying hello to a young girl bound to a wheelchair.  Although this seems harmless at first, Elise stops mid sentence, looks past this young girl, and at something we cannot see, and whispers, “Oh.  My.  God.” That must’ve been truly terrifying, Elise.

Now that ‘Insidious: Chapter 2’ is out and over with, we can now resume at eagerly waiting for a most wanted third film in the franchise.