Mrs. Fancher’s Mixed Media

Madison Lewis, Staff Writer

Not many people here at Weedsport know what Mrs. Fancher’s Mixed Media class actually is but it’s actually an art class you can take that uses unorthadox materials to construct artwork.

Mixed Media is a half year coarse going on now that was discovered by Mrs. Fancher and Mr. English when they decided to “revamp” the visual arts program. Mixed Media got its name because there’s always more than one medium being used throughout the entire piece, “…so something like; watercolor and colored pencil or collage with ink over the top. Mixed media pieces are also usually more experimental in nature.”, explained Mrs. Fancher.

This years class just wrapped up their 3rd project. The first project the class made was a watercolor/acrylic piece which taught them how to explore positives and negatives. The next project the class made was an experimental piece which used ground coffee, they made different solutions with the coffee grounds to create different sepia tones. Sophomore Anjela Tousant said “By using one color, it helped get multiple shades to make the art balanced”. The class just finished up a ceramics piece that was inspired by vintage typewriter key boxes.

Mrs. Fancher is very excited for an upcoming projects, she says, “Since I have upperclassmen mostly, I like to focus on a lot of self-reflection. One project we always do is a constructed book, usually an accordion book. We fill it with writing pieces (using in-class prompts), a mind-map, art and also photos. It’s a really meaningful project where the process is as important as the product.”

By the time of the end of this school year, the Mixed Media class will develop a mind set where making mistakes is okay and they will also learn how to push and pursue their ideas as artists. The class overall helps students blossom as artists and become overall more creative minded individuals. “Creativity is what breeds innovation.  Hearing students make statements like; I never knew I could do that, or giving specific positive feedback to their peers is what makes this room and class so amazing.”