Weedsport’s Odyssey of the Mind Teams Head to State Competition

Madison Lewis, Staff Writer

Weedsport’s 9th and 11th grade Odyssey of the Mind teams competed at BOCES on the March 10th, along with two elementary school teams.

Odyssey of the Mind (OM) is a creative problem solving competition. Teams vary from elementary students to college students and can have between 5-7 members. Teams have to solve from 5 problems each year, these problems consist of anything from building to making a skit.

“This year, there are three building problems, one problem that uses emojis, one problem that works with classic literature, and one that deals with aliens and outer space skits,” explains Mrs. Sanzotta, head of the 9th grade team. The 9th grade team is worked on the problem that is entitled: “The Stellar Hangout” and consists of Jenna Strong, Erin Grady, Allison Weston, Alexandra Lajo Leonardi, and Leah Hanscomb. The 11th grade team consisted of Kalista Hamilton, Cassie Stanfield, Zoe Wejko, Ally Simms, Jacob Roden, and Bridget Hickey, which is led by Miss Fletcher.

Each year there are three competitions, the first took place at BOCES on the 10th of March. The next competition is states which will take place in Binghamton in the beginning of April, which both teams are going to advance to. After states, worlds will occur in Michigan. Both of the high school teams will advance to states along with one of the elementary school teams.