The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

Just One Chapter in Life

Usually a person lays their head down in the same place every night. They live in one home, and have a complete family, unfortunately I don’t. Divorce is a very challenging thing to go through. It doesn’t just affect the couple filing for divorce, it affects everyone around them. I am in the process of living in two places, deciding who I will spend tomorrow night with, and worrying that I will hurt one. I’m out of my 11-year element for half of the week and then back into it, and the cycle continues. Sometimes when I’m laying in those two places I think, “Am I hurting them more than they already are? Am I to blame for any of this? How’s Christmas going to work this year? How can I be fair to my family during this time?” All of these questions are a daily reminder that my family is broken. I, however, am not alone.

Many people experience things like this everyday. I know this isn’t the worst thing to happen in life, but it’s still a burden that’s heavy and it’s my own personal battle. It’s hard having your entire life flipped around because of one thing. I saw this coming for years, but it was one of those things where I just never saw it happening anytime soon. Then  my mom just had to pack her things, get an attorney, and move on. She didn’t want to have to do these things, but it just had to happen.  All of the fighting, hostility, and heartache left, but an empty, dull, and bitter feeling still lingers. I walk into my house and nothing feels the same. But that’s the point, nothing will ever be the same again. As hard as it is this time of change is here, and I have to face it.

I am so lucky that I am greatly loved by my parents, but that doesn’t make it any easier. I try to tell myself that this has nothing to do with me, I have to know that my parents know I don’t love them any less, because I choose to be with one for a couple days, then switch. They know I am just trying to be fair.  When I’m at school I leave this ordeal at home. I try not to let it run my life, and attitude, or ruin my senior year. A few people have said that they wouldn’t have guessed I was going through that. That’s good to me! This shouldn’t dictate my time with friends, change my personality or silence my laughter. I don’t want to take my drama out on people who care about me. This is my problem to deal with, not theirs.

While I know people aren’t bothered if I talk about it occasionally, I don’t bring it up much because my parents divorce is not me, my future, or anything of that nature. Sometimes it feels good just to vent about it, but to get through this I just need to continue being me. Because no matter what this is happening, and life goes on. Everyone goes through hard times, whether it’s death, divorce or anything else. We just have to remember to keep living our lives despite of trials, and tribulations, because this is just one chapter of our lives. We don’t want to look back, and know we just shut down, and didn’t try. Words to live by: Life is a hard road but don’t stop driving just because there’s a detour!