Swear Words: *@#%&*!!!

Swear Words: *@#%&*!!!

Jada Sterling, Editor

“Shut the front door!” “Sugar!” “Fudge!” What do these commonly used phrases have in common? If you’re in highschool you might have actually used them in lieu of popular curse words, and it’s weird. They are better than the original phrases, however, as it is extremely annoying to listen to peers cuss their brains out in every other sentence whilst you’re trying to have a civilized conversation with them. Unfortunately, there really isn’t consistency in discipline at Weedsport CSD in regards to these foul-mouthed violators, and there needs to be.

It’s a pretty regular thing to hear ugly and profane language among high schoolers, mostly because teens like to sound like adults with their enhanced vocabulary. In reality, the overuse of profanities can often reflect immaturity, as the user is usually trying to impress people by saying bad things.

In elementary school, there were problems with kids who were raised using words that teachers considered “uncivilized” such as ‘ain’t’ and other slang terms that parents used around them. This can no longer be used as an excuse for middle and high schoolers, as we are all old enough to know what’s appropriate and not.

Right now, cursing is not encouraged, but it certainly isn’t discouraged enough so kids will stop using obscene slurs and phrases altogether. There are clear punishments in place for racist slurs and actions, but other derogatory slurs such as those stemmed from homophobia are not always outwardly discouraged in the school environment. These words are inappropriate and can be hurtful to some members of the school district, so why are they swept under the rug when a pompous kid blurts them out in class or in the hallway? It’s simply unacceptable.

Most of the time, when a teacher hears a student say a bad word, a stern warning is given and that’s the end of it. The problem lies in the fact that teens are not always quick to take a hint, and continue to swear even after being caught. Nobody likes being punished, but the only way we can rid ourselves of the crude words streaming from unruly mouths is by showing people that their harsh words are truly disruptive, damaging,  and unnecessary for the school environment.

I’ll admit that I have, on occasion, used strong language during school, in either a sarcastic way or in a moment of frustration. I understand that it’s not always voluntary- it just comes out. In my opinion, it’s alright to slip up sometimes or use a bad word in context (ex. repeating what someone said or stubbing your toe and giving the table a piece of your mind) but what’s not okay is directing your wrath towards a specific person/people, or overusing naughty words incessantly.

The Student Code of Conduct for Weedsport Central Schools outlines the school policy regarding the use of “language or gestures that are profane, lewd, vulgar or abusive”, under the category pertaining to actions subject to disciplinary action. This prohibited behavior falls under Section VI of the SCOC, and has to do with the students’ responsibility for their actions and the expectation that they “conduct themselves in an appropriate and civil manner”. Unfortunately, these explicit guidelines are not always taken all that seriously by students in a social setting, so as a result, we can hear torrents of vulgarity swirling in the cafeteria, hallways, study halls, and any other setting in which a supervisor isn’t directly engaging the students. That’s the way it is, and most likely the way our school has always tended to be, but that doesn’t mean it has to stay that way.

My suggestion would be for teachers and administrators to make students more aware of the negative impact that excessive profanity has on the school environment, and when it is or isn’t acceptable to use strong language. This could be done by word of mouth to the students as a whole, or it could be expressed to individual students who seem to have developed a habit of cursing often. Either way, if kids are required to take ownership and responsibility for the words that come out of their mouths, perhaps that would cause them to watch their language a bit more carefully.