Good Job Humanity, We’re Destroying the Planet

Nathan Currier, Staff Writer

I’m throwing everyone a curve ball. Time for a good ol’ global warming talk. I’m expecting people to get extremely opinionated. Even if you do feel the hurt, I encourage you to keep reading and thinking.

Global warming and climate change are a real thing. It’s a change that’s going on with our planet that is not supposed to happen at this rate naturally.

Humans are the main reason why this drastic climate change is occurring. If that was apparent or not, the elephant in the room has now been addressed. It’s not debatable, it’s clear fact. I don’t care what Fox News tells you or what some guy from the right winged conservative party says. People need to accept cold hard fact and data. Within the past century, temperatures have been on the rise. Drastically. Even if it is a small percentage such as a 0.1 degree celsius over 20 years, the global effects of such are tremendous.

Graphs and statistics from NASA itself is showing the progressive heating and heat distribution around Earth. With this dramatic increase in temperature comes with the threat of sea level rise. When ice caps in the North and South polar regions begin to break apart and heat up causing all the encased water to begin to pour out into the ocean.

People say, “Hey! So what if it melts? Why do I care?” Well, where’s all that water going to go? In areas where the land level is low enough for water to start to flood in, destroying cities, homes, human populace in general in those areas. I urge you to go on an image search and look for graphs showing the damage caused by the polar ice caps melting. Every year the graphs seem to keep projecting worse damage caused by our selves not willing to take the blame and say “Hey, living is good. Lets get our act together and try to alleviate the issue. We need to put our issues behind us and fix this.”

Take for example a video the news agency “Vice” has done earlier in March.

Shane Smith from Vice said, “Every season of Vice has had a story on global warming or sea level rise. And every season will at least have one story why.‘Cuz I think it’s the biggest story for all of humanity.”

He soon after states…

“For whatever political and economic reason, many people deny this. Even though in many cases the science is correct, which I find particularly insidious.”

The video takes place in the polar regions of the Earth showing what climate change has on the planet itself, showing the areas of ice becoming weak and breaking off from the mainland, along with showing how fast it’s melting. As they mention, Antarctica and Greenland will melt, it just depends on how fast and when.

Climate change can naturally happen, but human industry can actually speed up the effects. The usage of fossil fuels and other harmful sources are causing greenhouse gases to be trapped within the Earth and effectively heating us up. To take this a step further, the Ozone layer of the Earth, basically our magnetic shielding from UV Rays and other harmful sources of Radiation, is depleting. This is now having a direct correlation to the Greenhouse Effect.

I know people don’t like long lessons in science so let me make it quick and simple. Recently I’ve heard that there’s no way that global warming or Ozone layer depletion because of “polar vortex.” Well, you’re wrong. The atmosphere layers begin to heat up, creating a “blanket effect” in troposphere causing violently cold weather to rush down from its northern position into our area. When the carbon particles rise, heat rises too, taking it up to the upper layers of the troposphere and spreading out. This pushes cold air from the atmosphere and arctic area down towards areas that usually don’t get that cold. And to think, all this happens because of us.

A more debatable subject on global warming would be weather effects. As time progresses on the frequency of destructive storms will cease to happen. The drawback is when they do happen we’ll have to develop all new scales to measure the extreme power of the storm. No longer will small Tornado and Hurricanes happen, but large ones on the level of Katrina and most F4-F5 Tornadoes will be frequent. If that doesn’t sound terrifying, I don’t know what is.

I mentioned earlier within the article about the Ozone layer and explained its functionality. Continued carbon emissions start to create large holes and destroying our magnetic shield. When holes are poked in it, UV rays and such begin to pierce through our protective layer and sear people on the planet with the harmful waves, that’s why today you have to wear sunblock when you go outside. People hundreds of years ago didn’t have to because of how little damage they did to the environment.

Look, I get it. Human’s can’t be 100% efficient. It’s just not possible. What we can do is find alternate ways such as solar and wind based energy. I hesitate to say nuclear, but it would honestly be better than what we’re doing now. Advocates for regulation on industry and partners with national science committees, such as Bill Nye, agree that the Earth is changing because of our actions. If you’re in high school right now, you’ll be dealing with the consequences of the past due to ignorance of the situation and lack of care.

The threat we pose to ourselves is on a cataclysmic scale, the path we’ve set ourselves on, until we change, will be our end. Sadly it’ll be too late anyway. Just remember, when you’re driving the pickup truck that just guzzles gas and you want to sit around and support right-winged controlled industry that has no regard for anyone’s safety but their investors profit.

Until then, enjoy your big trucks, oil, coal industry, ‘Murica, etc. Maybe when the future comes people will realize what we’ve done. Just remember… the future comes sooner than you think.