Bullying Has Long Term Impacts

Alexandra Kunkel, Staff Writer

Let’s get one thing straight. If bullying isn’t an issue after high school, why do it now? So what if people aren’t an exact replica of you? Why should that determine how you treat them?

In life you won’t find people who are exactly like you, no one will like everything that you like, no one will have the same past as you. Bullying in society has gotten worse, from people who think it’s okay to make a comment on a person’s personality, hair style, sexuality, passions and hobbies. It’s not right. People in schools shouldn’t have to hide their true selves because they are scared of what people will say or do.

Kids who have been bullied nowadays are depressed and have forms of anxiety, and in some places kids don’t make it out of high school or have permanently damaged their bodies because of malevolent comments which have demolished their self esteem. So, now try to tell me “bullying doesn’t matter after high school.” People are so insensitive these days to people’s emotions because they never take the time to get to know them before they judge a person’s actions. People nowadays are so fast to jump on the opportunity to judge a person’s actions because they never know what is going on inside a person’s head and it’s disheartening to see.

People don’t even know how it feels. They may smile at it for the moment, but it damages self esteem. No one can know how it feels except for that person, so before you give someone a dirty look or make a comment on how they act or dress, think about it – would you want someone to say that to or about you?

You might be thinking: “I wouldn’t really care” until you actually have it happen. I’m not saying you have to like everybody, but you need to learn to tolerate because you won’t always have people you work with that you like. You won’t be buddy buddy with every person you come across.

I don’t like everyone, but I tolerate them and that’s what life is. So, if you are bullying someone for their looks, personality, weight, hair, sexuality, etc., just think that what you do now to them could impact their life forever. So honestly now think: does bullying really “not” matter after high school, because it does.