“Milk and Honey” A Poetry Collection for Those Who Don’t Read Poetry

Milk and Honey A Poetry Collection for Those Who Dont Read Poetry

Lindsay Mickle, Staff Writer

Many students in today’s society are not avid poetry readers. This does not apply to all because I know many are. However, those who do not read much poetry tend to have the opinion that it is boring or hard to understand. However, if they read the poetry available today they might know that many poetry books are nothing like that. Modern poetry collections can provide practical advice and hold stories that could be more relatable than most think. One of these collections is the the book Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. Right now, it is number 5 on the Barnes and Nobles best seller’s list. I’ve personally read the book and own it, and can honestly say that this book is most definitely worth the read, despite if you read poetry or not.

The author built the book on four main chapters, each one dealing with different pains in life and serving their own purposes. They deal with things like the experience of love, loss, abuse, violence, and the importance of femininity in the author’s life. The book takes its readers through the author’s journey, showing even the most bitter parts of life, but proving you can find the milk and honey in every situation, if you’re willing to look for them.

The poems and line drawings in the book are often very brief, but cut below the surface. They pull back to expose the focus of the poem. Whether that be pain, loss, love,or beauty. Rupi Kaur showed immense fearlessness when writing Milk and Honey. She exposed herself and her life for what it was. Sexual abuse, loss, the failure of her parents, love, pain, racism, everything without shielding herself. The poems provide the story of her whole entire life very plainly, yet somehow Kaur still manages to write it in a poetic and rhythmic way.

Rupi Kaur also used Milk and Honey to expose society and its views on women and their bodies. She uses her poems to show that we have not made nearly as many advances in equality as we think we have, whether that be about gender or race. Her words and the line drawings that accompany them have become anthems for girls all over the world who are tired of being shamed for their bodies and skin color. They are the perfect length to be passed through social media (the place where Kaur gets most of her readers) as small protests against the patriarchy, and to inspire young girls everywhere to show them that they are valid despite what others may say.

This book is empowering and painful. While reading it I had to stop every few pages and let what I just read sink in. When you’re holding Milk and Honey in your hands you’re holding more than just a book. You’re holding the author’s heart, her secrets, her life, all of it. Right in your hands. And she’s letting you. Rupi Kaur wrote Milk and Honey to show people her life and her views. To help people who’ve gone through the same struggles she has. It is not a poetry book to be underestimated. Kaur is one of the 21st century poets who focus their writing towards the younger generation. In fact, most of her readers come from her Instagram account where she has over 300,000 followers. Her poems are pointed more towards high school or college level readers because that’s who can relate to her words the most. Those who are still growing up and still learning to take care of themselves and deal with pain and heartbreak. It’s really no wonder that the book has made it to the top charts.

So, with over half a million copies sold, Milk and Honey offers inspirational, stunning, raw poetry that everyone should take the time to read. Even if you’re only going to read one poetry book in your lifetime, it should be this one.