How To Get Away With Murder: “Not Everything’s About Annalise” Review

How To Get Away With Murder: “Not Everythings About Annalise” Review

Chris Chalker, Staff Writer

Will Bonnie Winterbottom (Liza Weil) be able to help Annalise Keating (Viola Davis)? And now that he has turned himself in for the murder of Wesley Gibbins (Alfred Enoch), will Bonnie be able to help Frank Delfino (Charlie Weber)?

Some questions still linger…
What is going on with Connor Walsh (Jack Falahee)?
What is up with Oliver Hampton (Conrad Ricamora)?
What will Laurel Castillo (Karla Souza) do now that Wes is dead and she is pregnant?
Who started the fire?
Who killed Wes?

A few of these were actually answered… to an extent.

Before we get started, there will be SPOILERS for How To Get Away With Murder season three in general and for season three, episode eleven (Obviously)! If you have not seen season three, episode eleven: “Not Everything’s About Annalise” or do not want it to be spoiled then STOP READING! You have been warned!

This episode stars the main cast members:
Liza Weil as Bonnie Winterbottom, an associate of Annalise’s, Charlie Weber as Frank Delfino, Annalise’s associate and the mysterious one of the group, Jack Falahee as Connor Walsh, a Middleton law student and the only one of the Keating Five that is strangely not grieving over Wes’ death. Aja Naomi King as Michaela Pratt, another Middleton law student who seems to be a mini-Annalise in the making. Matt McGorry as Asher Millstone, son of the now deceased federal judge Millstone. Conrad Ricamora as Oliver Hampton, the techie of the group. Billy Brown as Nate Lahey, a Philadelphia detective who was romantically involved with Annalise. Viola Davis as Annalise Keating herself, the law professor who is being blamed for the death of Wes Gibbins. The aforementioned Wes Gibbins is portrayed by Alfred Enoch.

So what exactly happened in How To Get Away With Murder season three, episode ??: “Not Everything’s About Annalise”?

Following the events of the previous week, Frank turned himself in to the police, confessing to a crime he didn’t commit. That crime? The murder of Wes. Frank fakes a story to get himself arrested and charged with the murder, but his plan falls apart as the new A.D.A., Renee Atwood, sees through his story, thanks to the examination by the medical examiner during Wes’ autopsy, which indicated that he died before the fire. Frank is charged with the murder at the end of the episode, thinking he has settled his debt with Annalise, but as we learned earlier in the episode, that’s not how it will work.

Oliver is talked to by Michaela about the murders previously committed, only mentioning Sam Keating and not Rebecca Sutter or Emily Sinclair. Michaela talks Oliver into remaining silent about the murders and he reluctantly agrees after she “threatens” him. Michaela also has an outburst with the head of the university, who arranged a meeting with Michaela, Asher, and Connor to talk about Wes’ death. Michaela calls her out for only covering her own (expletive) and not even coming out to support Annalise, who is a teacher at the university. The head of the university later meets with Annalise at the prison and assures her that things will be fine.

The flashbacks reveal that Frank and Wes had a talk about Annalise before the latter ultimately died. Wes states that he knows his former girlfriend, Rebecca, was murdered and he blames Frank for the murder. Wes then lashes out at Frank and says he is far more important to Annalise than Frank is to her. He also brings up the fact that Frank led to the death of Annalise’s child. Wes then exits the car, Frank calls Bonnie, who tells him to continue to follow Wes.

Laurel has some drama going on. Meggy seems odd. Giving Laurel food and checking in on her before asking what is going on in the investigation. Laurel tells her they aren’t friends and she isn’t going to tell Meggy anything. Laurel also talks to Nate about things. Laurel later makes a statement to police saying that Frank was the one who ran out of the storm door in the basement and set the house on fire.

Oliver does some digging into Atwood’s files, finding that she doesn’t need to pin Wes ’ murder on Annalise. She has several different options here, such as the murder of a Jane Doe found in the woods that police tried to ID, when they did, it was found to be Rebecca Sutter’s body. They also have several other murders and unsolved crimes that they can pin on Annalise. Looks like Annalise’s world is crumbling beneath her feet…

Next week’s episode is called “Go Cry Somewhere Else”, which can mean a lot of different things seeing the situation these people are in right now.