What It’s Like to Be an Art Student

Jacob+Field

Jacob Field

Karma Sobiech, Staff Writer

The Weedsport Jr/Sr High school art program has inspired and given many students here the tools they need to reach their artistic creativity. Being an art student is a great experience, and there’s multiple classes students can take such as: drawing and painting, ceramics, mixed media, studio art, Western and Eastern art, illustrations, textiles and fibers. All of these classes relate to creative thinking, and broadening your mind. A nice part of these courses is that they are not about just studying art: you’re able to make it. It’s possible to become recognized for your artwork. Mrs. Fancher looks for many opportunities to get the artwork of her students known to the public in different art shows, even outside of school.

Other advantages of taking an art class in high school is that it improves performances in other subjects, according to James Catterall, the leading professor and Chair of the faculty at the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information studies. His studies showed that students who are involved in both visual and performing arts are associated with higher grades in both high school and college. Art enhances motor skills, and hand eye coordination. As well as being good for educational reasons and stress relief.

Painting, sculpting, drawing, and even photography are both relaxing and rewarding. It’s also a useful hobby to do when you’re upset and need a distraction. A trendy way to relieve stress is adult coloring books. This idea was first popularized in France. Some of these coloring books have stress relief factors. Creating art increases the “feel good” feeling from neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine is sometimes called the “motivation molecule”, which boosts drive, focus, and concentration. Art is also known to create increased feelings of tolerance, empathy, and love. Students who visit museums showed increased skills like critical thinking. They also showed more empathy towards people who lived in the past, and expressed a better understanding toward people who are different from themselves.

One student in particular, Molly Goebel, has been an influential person who has participants in art classes. Since Molly is a senior this year, she doesn’t have many classes that she hasn’t taken already. She spends a lot of her time in the art room; both assigned and recreational while impressing many of her peers and teachers. The High School Art Teacher, Mrs. Fancher with her hard work and dedication to this passion of hers.

Art is a very beneficial hobby to pick up, and starting in the art room is a great step.