Big Brother 20 Week 8 Veto Competition and Ceremony

Chris Chalker, Student Life Editor

Week 8 saw a new Head of Household step into power and a new target was set for the week. To quickly recap, last week Angie Lantry was evicted by a vote of 5-1 last Thursday. Her eviction was one of many, many blindsides in this season so far, but what stands out the most is the vote to evict, as only one person voted to keep her, that being Scottie Salton. In the slip and slide HOH Competition, called “Glow and Flow”, Faysal Shafaat managed to pull out his first HOH win so far this summer and was determined to avenge Lantry, but due to manipulation by JC Mounduix, Faysal instead turned to the two houseguests that both claimed to have voted to keep Lantry: Brett Robinson and Scottie Salton, as one of them is lying to his face and as a result, Faysal nominated them both for eviction.

Veto Players

As Head of Household, Faysal Shafaat automatically competes in the Veto Competition. As do the two current nominees, Brett Robinson and Scottie Salton. The remaining three houseguests are selected by random draw.

Faysal Shafaat draws Angela Rummans’ chip, so she will play in the Veto Competition.

Scottie Salton draws a “Houseguest Choice” chip, so he may choose a houseguest to participate in the Veto Competition. Scottie picks Haleigh Broucher to play in the Veto Competition.

Brett Robinson draws Tyler Crispen’s chip, so he will be competing in the Veto Competition.

Just like last week, the draw came out pretty even, with three members from “The Hive” alliance and three from the “Level Six” alliance competing in the Veto Competition.

Veto Competition

The Veto Competition is a play on two Big Brother traditions: the “hide and seek” Veto competition and the annual Zingbot visit (and subsequent competition). Houseguests are tasked with hiding their “veto cards” inside the Big Brother house and then they are tasked with heading inside the house one at a time for a short time period and must also find the other houseguest’s veto cards. After five of these six veto cards are discovered, the identity of who the card belongs to will be revealed and whoever’s veto card was not found will be the winner of the Power of Veto. Brett Robinson, who spent his turns inside the house barricading his own veto card, manages to win the Power of Veto. Will Brett remove himself from the block or is he comfortable with allowing his alliance members to decide his fate?

Veto Ceremony

At the Veto meeting, Scottie decides to make a public pitch to get Faysal to nominated Sam Bledsoe as the replacement nominee if/when Brett uses the Power of Veto to save himself. His pitch does not work.

Brett has decided to use the Power of Veto on himself. Faysal nominates Kaycee Clark as the replacement nominee, essentially dealing Scottie’s fate.

Who will be evicted and become the third member of the jury who will decide the winner of the game? And who will win the next Head of Household?