Senior Profile: Xavier Kunkel

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

When you think of the WHS swim team, you probably think of the top swimmers that you see in the newspaper or hear about on the announcements. Most likely you think, “Oh, they’ve been doing this their entire life, and they’re just fast.” However, that story is different for senior, Xavier Kunkel, or “X” as he is known by the swim team. He was one of three captains for the swim team this year.

Kunkel started off his swimming career in seventh grade, on the Modified Swim Team, with head coach Josh Baker. He joined because he loved to swim in the pool. Kunkel has many interesting, and funny stories from his modified time. Many of these stories show his tremendous work ethic to get to where he is now: One of Weedsport’s top swimmers this year.

“Honestly, I’d rather have not,” said Kunkel about his 50 yard freestyle race in modified. “But I went off the blocks, did my typical cannonball start, and then just struggled all the way through.” Ironically, this year, Xavier mostly swam the 500 Yard Freestyle (the longest race that the swim team can swim), and he swam the 200 Yard Freestyle as well. He made a lot of improvement, as his best time was around a 2 minutes and 12 seconds, compared to modified (when he only swam the 50 Yard Freestyle), which was around two and a half minutes.

Ninth grade, his first year on varsity, is where it all began. He was with head coach, Ben Nabewaniec, who ended his Weedsport coaching career just three years ago.

Kunkel’s coach through the majority of his high school career was  Ed Beck, who really improved his swimming technique and skill. With Beck’s guidance, Kunkel earned the Greg Tincknell Most Improved Swimmer Award in the 2013-2014 swim season.

“I met Xavier in his sophomore year…That year he qualified for sectionals…Xavier lacked confidence in himself…,” said Beck. “…I remember how he much [the 500 freestyle] worried him…Xavier became one of the top swimmers on my team in that event.” Earlier this year, he was one of the hardest workers on the swim team, showing up to the morning weight lifting, and rise-and-shine practices. His dedication to the swim program helped him earn team captain status, along with seniors Nate Harding, and Maddie Ouderkirk.

“I believe his work ethic is a testament to who he is…It’s hard work, not necessarily a God given ability that allowed X to be an excellent swimmer.” concluded Beck. “He was a pleasure to coach as he grew as a swimmer, teammate, and person.”

Other than swimming, Kunkel enjoys playing soccer, and taking a lot of Mr. Anderson’s technology courses. A lot of the time, you’ll see him room 209 working hard on the computers.

Next year, Kunkel plans on going to Cayuga Community College for 2 years, then transferring. He is pursuing a major in Business Administration.

Kunkel said he would like to thank many people, but he can’t remember everyone’s name.

“They know who they are,” said Kunkel. Xavier is a fantastic person, and an even better friend to those who know him. The swim team, friends, and teachers will miss Xavier when he crosses the stage into the real world.