Support Available for Weedsport’s LGBTQ+ Community

Support Available for Weedsports LGBTQ+ Community

Zoe Wejko, Staff Writer

Where does Weedsport stand in the LGBTQ+ community? It’s hard to tell because many of our peers could be stuck in the closet. It’s hard for a lot of people to come out because they fear what their peers, friends or even family might think. Mrs. Jeanette Rosenberg, a Weedsport school counselor,  talked to the Johnny Green about how LGBTQ+ students have outlets to feel safe and her advice to them.

Many LGTBQ+ students may not feel safe about who they are or who they love. “Students at Weedsport are in safe zones (places accepting of LGBTQ+ individuals) anywhere on school property,” said Mrs. Rosenberg. “In particular, the counseling office is a safe zone.” LGBTQ students who don’t feel safe or need to talk to someone about their struggles are welcome at the counseling office. Everyone at the counseling office has “gone through training, continued education, and professional development to be sure we are current on.. struggles that the LGBTQ students may have,” Rosenberg said. If any LGBTQ+ students need support, they can go to the counseling office for an outlet.

If you ever see someone harassing or bullying someone because of their sexuality or gender or you yourself are being harassed or bullied you should go to an adult immediately. “As a school community we always want all students, including LGBTQ students, to feel safe and included.” Rosenberg said. There is no reason why any student, LGBTQ or not, shouldn’t feel safe. Mrs. Rosenberg and the counseling would like all students know that “they are accepted, cared for and valued, regardless of their gender, sex or sexual orientation.”

To answer the question “How can LGBTQ+ students in Weedsport feel safe?” LGBTQ+ students can go to the counseling office, their teachers, and a lot of their peers. If you are in the process of figuring out your gender, sex, or sexuality the “counseling staff is available to help in this process”. Some advice Mrs. Rosenberg has is for LGBTQ+ students to “be patient with other students, staff and community members as they become more educated and comfortable using appropriate language and terms.” It can be frustrating to deal with people who don’t understand your gender, sex, or sexuality but if you’re patient with them it will get better with time.