Happenings in the Library

Lindsay Mickle, Staff Writer

Teen Book Festival has been a part of Weedsport culture for years, however many students have not taken the time to fully look into it and see if it is something they may be interested in. In an interview with the school librarian, Ms. Speer, we discussed some of the main aspects of Teen Book Festival in order to provide a clearer view on what happens and who might be interested in it:

What happens at Teen Book Festival? How would you describe it for someone who didn’t know what it was and was thinking about going?

“An all day free event in Rochester that brings together more than 30 authors who write specifically for teenagers. The authors hold lectures and writing/illustration workshops.There is also a Barnes and Noble bookstore. It has the sense of being a college student since you attend an opening ceremony then walk around campus and the different college buildings where the lectures are held.”

What authors are expected this year? When will the full list be released?

“The list for 2018 is almost complete, however they are still making additions. Some of the authors we know so far include, Jason Reynolds, April Henry, Tamora Pierce, and A.S King.”

What books from some of the authors would you recommend for anyone who doesn’t know who they might be interested in seeing or what books they should read?

“Anything by Jason Reynolds (Long Way Down – was nominated for National book award for teens) Anything by AS King (some of my personal favorites are Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future and Still Life With Tornado.). Roshani Chokshi who is a big name in fantasy.  Also Jason Reynolds wrote the new Spider Man book.”

Do you think people who are not super big readers would enjoy something like teen book fest?

“If they are interested in illustration or writing they would probably enjoy the workshops that are available. Good if you like a day surrounded by kids your age while also not being in school since hundreds of kids attend the event. There is bound to be something there that everyone is interested in.”

What other features make Teen Book Festival appealing?

“It is an event where you direct what you do. You eat when you wanna eat, you can visit the bookshop when you want to, and you can go see whoever you want to see without having to stick to one group of people. There are also good lunch options.”

——

Another aspect of our library that students can enjoy is Book Club. There is both a high school book club and a middle school book club, which read different books throughout the year. I also asked Ms. Speer about some things happening with Book Club this year:

What books are you reading now with the middle and high school book clubs?

High School Book Club is reading Fallen by Lauren Kate, going to see the movie when done reading. Middle Book Club – I Am Number Four – Pittacus Lore, also going to see movie when done while throwing a pizza party.

What happens at a book club meeting? What are the differences between a middle school book club meeting and a high school book club meeting?

Just general discussion of the reading and an activity that goes with it. Depends on what we have read. Example – Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,  we did an activity where we tried to create our own black and white photos and stories that go with it. Depends on what’s happening in chapters.

What books are you most looking forward to reading this year?

For Middle School – A Wrinkle in Time with movie after.  As for High School – Ready Player One with movie after.

——

The Library this year has plenty of opportunities for students to get involved, and hopefully it’ll have many more to come. Even if you don’t think you have any interest, then why not stop by and take a look for yourself?