Mr. Fingland Returns to WHS

Ben Germinara, Staff Writer

The school of Weedsport had a huge change at the end of last year. While any change in staff is arguably a big deal, it’s not every day a big role like high school principal gets switched.

Many were shocked at Mrs. Widrick’s retirement, and even more were anxious to see the new principal. That new principal actually turned out to be an old Weedsport principal, as the school brought back Brett Fingland, who was previously employed at Weedsport.

Mr. Fingland’s previous position was co-principal with Mrs. Widrick. This was until budget cuts caused his position to be removed. After leaving Weedsport, Fingland found other work as principal of Dryden High School, near Cortland. Dryden was a much different experience, according to Fingland who stated that the school was nearly, “double the size of Weedsport.” He also held another job at the Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES organization.

“He seems quite nice and friendly,” said sophomore, Kylie Butler. “He seems to know what he’s doing. But [Fingland] is not any less lenient than Mrs. Widrick.” Many students are excited about the less strict cellphone regulations. 

Mr. Fingland was interviewed on several of these opinions and observations. When asked how it feels to return he stated that, “I’m thrilled to be back. Although a lot of students have moved on, and many of the teachers retired, I’m still glad to be back.” He said he has felt a warm reception so far.

He also stated he is pushing no new policies or rules for the first year, besides a more lenient cell phone policy. He says he doesn’t see a point in attempting to stop something that everyone does, as long as they aren’t using the phones in class.  

He is attempting to integrate his ideas into Weedsport because as of now, he has little to no contribution to decisions such as the construction going on by the track. He’s hoping to have many great years at this school. “I’m glad to be back,” stated Mr. Fingland. “I love this school, ’cause you know, I’ve always been bleeding green.”