NHS Induction Ceremony Challenges Students to “Create a Ripple”

Maddie Patchin, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, Weedsport held it’s annual National Honor Society Induction Ceremony. The theme this year was “creating a ripple in the world.” This theme was inspired by a quote from Mother Teresa saying, “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” One act of kindness can go a long ways, and that is exactly what the inductees of the NHS Ceremony plan to do.

Mrs.Weston, the advisor of the National Honor Society, says that she truly hopes that the members of NHS will really go the extra mile to set a good example for the community and to always make the right choices so that hopefully others will follow in their footsteps.

Mrs.Weston tells The Johnny Green the importance of NHS, “We all could use a reminder once in awhile in  life about how serving other people, and helping when needed, and being the best role model you can be, and things like that, are important.”

Being a member of NHS is a big responsibility, even if people don’t realize it. Members should always remember to set a good example for others, which is why this year’s theme was so fitting to the main ideas and goals of NHS. “Modeling that behavior and rising above certain things might inspire other people to do the same,” says Mrs.Weston.

It’s not that members of NHS are better than others, they just have that extra task of showing others what is right and how they can do the same. Sometimes people only focus on the bad things in life, so when someone inspires another to do something good, people will notice that and hopefully do the same.

Being the President of the National Honor Society is a big task. Weedsport’s NHS President, Tyler Burt, talks about what being a member of NHS means to him. “Being a member of NHS means being a scholar, leader, person with integrity and person willing to help anyone at any time. People think that you just need to have good grades to be a member, but it’s really so much more than that. You do need the good grades, but you need to go above and beyond by being a well-rounded person, a ‘complete package.”

Congratulations to all who were inducted into the National Honor Society.