Cheerleading is a Sport

Cheerleading is a Sport

Amber Van Luven, Staff Writer

When a cheerleader hears someone say “Cheerleading is not a sport,” their blood boils. Many people would agree with that statement, but if you ask a cheerleader they will tell you differently.

The definition of the word “sport” is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another for entertainment. Regardless, people seem to define it as whether you can make goals, touchdowns, or a home run. Although this fall season at Weedsport Jr./Sr. High School we were unable to compete in any competitions due to a lack of participation last year,  the following years will be a different story.

Next year the varsity cheer team will go to competitions and the season will be about their accomplishments and not just the football or basketball games. Next year’s practices will be consumed by learning an elaborate routine for competition. Just like any other sporting event, cheerleading competitions have certain requirements. Not only does the squad have to perform a routine consisting of flips, fliers and splits, it all has to be done in less than three minutes fifteen seconds. The more complex the routine the better.

Something people may try to argue is that there is a lack of athleticism but cheerleaders have to learn tumbling which is physically challenging and painful. You have to train your muscles to stretch further and in uncomfortable ways.  I would like to see athletes that play “real sports” like football, do a split.

Unlike other athletes who get protection against injuries like helmets or pads, cheerleaders do not. When a flier is in the air doing a basket toss, her trust has to be put in the girls below her ready to catch her fall. They are the only thing keeping her from hitting the ground. Competitive cheerleading is the number one sport for serious injury.

Another argument against cheerleading being a sport is there is no manipulation of an object such as a basketball or football. Although in that case, sports like swimming and cross country should get just as much discrimination.

I think the problem people have with cheerleading is typically boys get all the hype when it comes to sporting events. They are seen as more dominant and strong so they should be the center of attention in the sport highlights, so it is not okay for us girl athletes to excel in a sport most males cannot.