The Value of the Arts in School

Lydia Treat, Staff Writer

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” –Pablo Picasso.

Weedsport is full of young creators. Whether it be our musicians, our artists, our photographers, sculptors, directors, actors, or so on. We’ve flourished in creativity. However, as many of us have realized, being a young artist isn’t easy. We face so many struggles creating in a world run by adults. Two of Weedsport’s artists, Gabby Babilot and Adam Poupore, know exactly what it’s like to face these hurdles.

One of the biggest challenges of being an artist is being taken seriously. Babilot said, “At open mics, since I’m a teenager, I’m not taken as seriously.” I have personally experienced this as well. From time to time, a younger performer’s set will be pushed back or shortened to make room for a more experienced person. It’s an extremely frustrating situation.

Poupore commented that, “People have said that artist and music careers aren’t going to happen, which is bologna.” Babilot agreed, saying, “Adults always say that it’s never going to happen.” Having spoken to several adults about pursuing photography myself, I’ve heard many similar replies. Many younger creators, such as us, feel like they aren’t supported, and are discouraged from chasing their dreams. Instead of disapproving, more adults should push youth to continue following their hearts.

Schools are also a huge influence that can encourage kids to follow the path of creativity. However, as many people know, the arts have taken a backseat to other courses. “Art and music is in the background of sports,” said Babilot. We continued to discuss how the schools could contribute to their art and music programs and how important these classes are to the students. “The art room could really use new paintbrushes,” Poupore added. He told me how paintbrushes are often left unclean or are stolen by students. “All of the sports teams are getting new equipment and materials, but the music room is missing vital instruments and the art rooms really need help,” said Babilot.

Anyone who has played the side room pianos in the music room know how out of shape they are. Mr. Franco has done an incredible job with renewing the music program, however, there are still many things that need to be fixed. Some of the music room’s guitars are on their last legs and the one acoustic can only be played so many times throughout the day. The art rooms are also in rough shape. Between paint stained tables and missing brushes, they could use some touch ups as well.

“I wish there was more art in my day and after school because it really frees my mind to focus on things like school work,” said Popoure. Art and music is often times a great escape for students during and after school. Not having good funding to these programs can definitely have a negative effect on these students. We should be encouraging millenials to pursue the careers they love, not discouraging them by saying they’re not “practical” or by telling them it will “never happen.” We should be supporting our youths and pushing them out to follow their dreams.