Syracuse Field Hockey Has a Historic Season

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

The Syracuse Field Hockey team has a record of 17-5. All the losses in that record were considered to be against some of the best teams including: No. 1 seed, North Carolina; No. 11 Boston College; No. 3 Virginia; and No. 13 Wake Forest. They also had one ACC Tournament loss.

The team scored 76 goals in their season and held their opposition to a small number of 38 goals. Shots on goal, assists, and many other stats for this team have blown their opposition out of the field.

Many of those goals have come from junior forward, Emma Russell who is originally from Ireland. She was one of the First Reserves for Ireland’s Youth Olympic team so a lot of talent is packed into the 5’6” forward.

Jess Jacko, the person who also has been keeping the goals out of the cage is also a junior. Stopping a total of 78 shots throughout the year, and has had two shutouts. She’s helped the Women’s Field Hockey make it a great season for all. Jecko, originally from Clinton, NY, has really carried the team.

Syracuse eventually made it to the ACC tournament, moving up to the championship but unfortunately came up short. For the quarterfinals and semifinals, they took revenge on previous losses by Boston College and North Carolina. They lost once again to the then ranked No. 11, Wake Forest with an unfortunate score of 2-0.

With the six shots and two saves by Jecko, they still played an excellent game. However they couldn’t grieve over their loss, they had to focus and get right to the NCAA Tournament.

After a bye-week in what is known as the “Play-In Round,” the No. 4 seeded Syracuse Orange played the No. 17 seed, Boston University Terriers. They won 2-1, to move on to the Semifinals.

In the First Round, Jecko had five saves in the cage to preserve the win, while the goals went to senior, Jordan Page as well as freshman, Lieke Visser.

In the Semifinals, Syracuse faced No. 6 seed, Penn State Nittany Lions, and won with a score of 3-1. Despite the fifteen saves by Penn State goalie, Kylie Licata, they came up short. Jecko had eight saves in that game. The three goals were awarded to freshman Lies Lagerweij, senior Lauren Brooks,and junior Emma Russell.

Syracuse unfortunately lost to the University of Connecticut in the final four section of the tournament by a close score of 1-0.