Weedsport Swim Team Raises Money for Swimathon

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

On January 10, the Weedsport Varsity Swim Team decided to give back to their community for all of their support throughout the seasons. The swim team raised over $2,000 to support the St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, which specializes in childhood cancer.

Weedsport winter sports decided once again to compete against rival school, Port Byron, and see who raised the most money between the sports. However, the Weedsport Swim Team went against the Port Byron Wrestling Team, as the counterpart.

“Even if Port Byron works their butts off and beats us, no one loses. We raised money for a great cause,” said Weedsport Head Coach, Ed Beck, in Kristin Wolford’s article from The Citizen.

Weedsport sophomore Andrew O’Bryan led all raises with a total of $875, to help to the team total. Beck was also found swimming all of the events in the one practice, due to the team raising over $1,000 – he used that as a wager.

The team swam a total of 6,000 yards in the three hours they were in the pool. Instead of swimming 6,000 straight, they made it fun. One of the 1,000 yards was a “Two Man 1,000 Yard Relay,” where both swimmers swam at least 500 yards. Other fun sessions were kicking sprints, or other numerous relays.

St. Jude’s shouldn’t need to wait every year for a swimathon to get donations. Every day, they are taking in children who have cancer, but thanks to donations – they are releasing them to their families – cancer free. St. Jude’s is always looking for donations to help for medical supplies, and extra add-ons so the kids at the hospital feel at home. Everyone needs to consider donating!