Varsity Girls Beat Fabius-Pompey in Close Game

Ben Grieco

Freshman, Cassondra Carroll, goes for the block against Fabius-Pompey on February 14.

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

The Weedsport Varsity Girl’s Basketball Team defeated Fabius-Pompey in the second round of the Section III Class C championship. In a low scoring first half, almost as if it was a football score, the first points were scored 55 seconds into the game, by freshman Cassondra Carroll. Fabius could not string anything together, either.

“I think the only reason there wasn’t a lot of scoring, is we got enough looks at the basketball,” said Weedsport head coach, Chris Vargason, “they just weren’t going in.”

Weedsport, in the second quarter, was able to take advantage of the Falcons’ mistakes. With multiple fouls, mainly against freshman, Brooke Hammersley, as well as racking up the travels, and shot clock violations. Fabius was also not able to score the easy points in foul shots.

“I think this group doesn’t care who leads them, as long as someone leads them,” said Vargason. “I think it was Brooke’s time, she stepped up and got a couple buckets…she just took advantage of it.”

Hammersley showed her top playing ability during the second quarter, along with the defense finally coming alive.

“I mean, leading the game until the second half, is really important,” said Hammersley. “You can lose it then, but you can also come in strong to win.” The half ended with Hammersley leading with six points, for a score of 14-13, Weedsport.

The third quarter was the main difference in who was going to win this game. The defense was shining, and Weedsport offense was overpowering. Fabius was giving up too many fouls, and Weedsport was making the easy shots. Fabius was held to seven points during the quarter. Junior, Jeslyn Files, was able to make the first three-pointer of the game with 1:44 left in the third quarter.

“My halftime talk, was defensively, we’re not going to change a thing,” said Vargason. “Offensively, we just have to finish.”

The final quarter came around, starting with a score of 28-20. The Weedsport defense was still alive and happening, however Fabius had a little more offense. Senior, Grace Beardsley got into foul trouble, but was able to remain on the court. Towards the end, there was a lack of rebounds and defense, but Fabius wasn’t able to overcome. Fabius started fouling with 45 seconds left. Weedsport beat Fabius-Pompey by a final score of 35-29.

“I think we did really well, it wasn’t our best offensive game, but we definitely worked together as team,” said Hammersley. “We did well.”

No. 5 Weedsport now faces No. 4 Frankfort-Schuyler on February 16, at Frankfort. The game is scheduled to be at 6PM. Frankfort defeated No. 13 Port Byron 62-45, most recently. Weedsport has not faced them yet, but Vargason knows his girls are up to the challenge.

“I am very, very happy, because getting by that first round is a very big deal, Fabius is a very good team,” said Vargason. “Going forward, I think this team can win it all if they stay focused.”