Varsity Girls Basketball Looks to Continue Legacy Created

Jared+Sullivan

Jared Sullivan

Ben Grieco, Managing Editor

The Weedsport Girls Varsity Basketball team is back, and ready to move on further into the Section III Class C tournament. After going 17-4 on the season, and losing in the second round to Frankfort-Schuyler, the Warriors are ready for more.

“My expectations at the start of any season is always the same,” said head coach, Chris Vargason. “Teach the players how to play the game of basketball and get just a little better each day. All the rest will take care of itself.”

The team didn’t lose many players last season, as they only had one senior – Grace Beardsley. While she will be missed, the team still has a strong senior class, featuring Jeslyn Files who was a Citizen’s All-Star last year. The underclassmen are represented as well, with Cassie Carroll who was also named a Citizen’s All-Star last year, too.

“Losing her was a big thing, but we have four seniors now, so that’s a big key for us,” said Files, who is entering her fourth year of playing for the team. “We’ve been together the whole year, so we’re working on teamwork and being fast this year.

Files, along with Madison Patchin, Nicole Soutar, and Lexi Appleby are the captains for the season, representing the girls at media days, and at captain’s meetings. All four are looking forward to regaining the recognition they once had a couple years ago.

“It’s so important having Senior leadership in any high school sports program, I’m very blessed to have 4 great seniors that started together and decided to finish together,” said Vargason. “These Seniors have 18 years of high school basketball experience among them. I’ve spent a lot of time with this group of seniors, I want nothing but the very best for each of them, both on and off the court.”

There is one team on the Warrior’s radar, however: The Cooperstown Hawkeyes – a team that has taken a couple sectional championships from Weedsport, and has dominated Class C basketball.

However, they have lost their star player, Liz Millea, who was Syracuse.com’s two-time All-CNY Small School’s Basketball Player of the Year. She was a threat to any team, and the Warriors knew it.

“It’s obviously pretty big, she was their key player,” said Files. “They still have a few good girls. But to us, that’s pretty good news.”

In last year’s season preview, Vargason commented that the he would not be disappointed seeing them in sectionals again, after losing to them in the finals in 2015. This year, they are ready once again.

“We had a great off-season and summer playing against some of the best basketball programs in Central New York,” said Vargason. “We are willing and well prepared to play any team including Cooperstown.”

With their first game on December 6, against the Lafayette Lancers, Vargason was able to get a better feel on what his 2016-2017 roster would be like, after the dominating victory.

“We have 12 girls that all are ready to learn the game of basketball,” said Vargason. “[They] give me their best effort when I call their name to play for the overall success of our team.”

With a majority of last year’s roster returning, and with the hope of the dominance Weedsport once had, the season looks bright for the Warriors, and they hope to continue the success that they once had in the 2014-2015 season.

“I’d say it’s the year for them to be excited,” commented Files, if she could say anything to the 2014-2015 roster about this season. “I’m pretty positive we can go far this year, and do good things.”