Science and Innovation at this Year’s CES Convention

Science and Innovation at this Years CES Convention

Rob Sickler, Staff Writer

The CES convention is an exhibition of the latest and most innovative science and technology that is shown by both corporations and smaller inventors alike. These things include new products, robotics and new advancements in computer technology. This can be an exciting and fascinating time for students and staff here at Weedsport, considering that Weedsport is a small town with a small community and does not receive much exposure to this level of new technology.

This year the convention was held in Las Vegas, Nevada and featured many hands-on exhibits and displays of everything from commonly used technology such as cell phones, speakers and laptops to some amazing and impressive exhibits of robotics, musical instruments and new technology not yet available to the public. Many corporations had a presence at this convention; Google and other social media sites were there as expected. Even Mercedes-Benz had an exhibit that showed off the latest in car navigational systems and user interface in their vehicles.

Spanning three halls in the Las Vegas Convention Center, this event was attended by approximately 150,000 people over the course of the three days allotted for it. Commonly hailed as a place for geeks to convene, the reviews left by many visitors showed their awe and amazement of the convention as well as how much bigger and brighter it was this year.
This growth goes to show that companies still have faith in consumer spending.

Some of the major exhibits at this year’s convention included a new Turtle Shell iPhone case that has retractable headphones built into the case. There was also an exhibit with three Maxaero X-Star unmanned aircraft systems that flew in sync at their display. Many 3D printers of all shapes and sizes made things from shoes, to sculptures and even bicycle frames right before the onlookers eyes. Such things like prosthetic hands were being made, one that could be used by an amputee who had lost theirs.

Attendees were also entertained with a life size R2-D2 droid from Star Wars™. that would be moved throughout the convention under remote control. Many took selfies with R2-D2. There were also simulators that led convention attendees to the experience of driving a fast car, or being in a battle scenario using virtual reality.

Some visitors even had the opportunity to try on Rocket Skates, special shoes with wheels and a built in motor that on a 90 minute charge time, could motor the wearer along at speeds up to 10 miles per hour.

Technology has become an important part of the school days here at Weedsport. With the addition of broadcast announcements, new phones, and new servers with wi-fi. Thanks to Mr. Roach, Weedsport has rocketed into a more modern era of education. The innovations designed by companies like those that attend the CES convention will be an important contribution to modern American Industry, and will hopefully be a turnaround from the United State’s economic decline.