The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

Weedsport’s New Stadium Gets High Marks From Fall Athletes

On September 16th, Weedsport had the grand opening of the new turf/track facility at the high school. The new turf/track facility was completed as part of the District’s $7.6 million capital project, which also includes improvements to the high school’s performing arts area and Elementary School gymnasium, as well as new bleachers and press box to accompany the field.

The Johnny Green sat down with some of the fall sports athletes and the athletic director to see how it has changed their sport:

Senior, and football player, Colin Granbois says that for games on the turf, it feels a lot better. “Running wise, tackling, and not getting as dirty in practice or in games.” He thinks that injury-wise it causes a little bit more danger. It may result in an overall smoother game but one of the players tore his ACL just running on the turf. It can be a lot more slippery, meaning they have to put a little more work in to perform successfully. Granbois also talked about how overall the turf has made a more positive game experience. “The game day atmosphere is better. I don’t know what it is, it just feels different.” 

Senior, and field hockey player, Mackenzie Strong says it is definitely a little more difficult and chaotic at practice because there are more people on it practicing rather than if it was the regular field. She also agrees that the game atmosphere is much different on the turf. “The games are a lot different because it’s a quicker game, the ball moves a lot faster. We fall a little more and slide a lot.” For field hockey, the girls have to really get in gear for the fast-paced games taking place. “It’s a completely different game for field hockey on the turf. I feel like I’ve improved on my skills because of it.” There are many new skills that are able to be learned that you wouldn’t normally need or use. They are constantly kept on their toes because the ball keeps rolling. Keeping control of the ball is super important for a successful game. Unlike football Mackenzie believes it has not caused any injuries. “I feel it’s helped injury-wise, only one person got hurt and it wasn’t really turf-related. People just slide when they fall.” On top of that it has positively affected game day for them as well. “I think we got more excited each game because it’s new for us and very exciting. With the lights on the field, it really brought the atmosphere up.” 

Mr. Piascik, Athletic Director, and Phys. Ed teacher said: “Aside from the aesthetics, the versatility of the playing surface has been very beneficial to the athletic programs. We can switch between football and field hockey without having to reline the field.” He also explained how the new bleachers have really improved the game day experience not only for spectators but also for the players. On the other hand, it has affected P.E. classes. It has become a reliable place for classes without the worry of mud or damaging the fields. Because of the remodel in the gymnasium, the turf has acted in place of it for the time being. It is used almost every period for his classes and after-school practices. It was completed at the perfect time for the teams to be able to get plenty of practice in the new environment and under the lights before games. Mr. Piasick sees it continuing to be utilized in the spring by his P.E. classes and the sports teams. “It will be advantageous for our baseball and softball programs that always have to wait for the fields to dry up before fielding balls.” He clearly agrees with Colin and Mackenzie that it has brought many benefits to the sports world here. It has made things much easier and more efficient, a much better experience for everyone. Including the new bathrooms and concessions added, events run much better. “Overall, it is a functional and beautiful upgrade to our facilities.”