The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

Senior Keegan Montreal On the Path to a Bright Future

Keegan Montreal is a senior this year at Weedsport. Montreal wants to go to college after high school. She’s not positive at what school yet, but she’s been looking at Nazareth College or SUNY Cortland. Montreal wants to pursue a career in speech pathology. 

Montreal had a great summer “My summer was actually very fun…With my youth group I went to Steubenville, it’s like a Catholic youth conference in Ohio. It was really fun because it was a life-changing event for most people, myself included. It changes how you think about your religion and your life in general and how you’re going to prioritize yourself.” Montreal thought it was amazing seeing thousands of people praying together in one spot. She said they talked about how you need to stop looking at yourself through your own eyes and forget all the lies you tell yourself. Montreal said, “It’s so powerful because everyone’s together, I was sobbing by the end of the night.” Montreal also worked a lot this summer at Arbys. Montreal likes her job even though most people don’t. “A job’s a job, you just have to get it done and suck it up at some point,” said Montreal. 

When Montreal is not working she enjoys doing crafts, her favorite is crocheting because it’s peaceful and it’s “Cutesy” said Montreal. Recently she covered her phone cord to look like a flower vine in her car. While Montreal loves to crochet she could never teach someone else how to do it, let alone a whole class because it’s hard enough for her alone. If Montreal could teach a class at Weedsport it would be English, but at heart she would love to teach a religion education class in a church. “I do help with a religion class at my church like I think that stuff’s fun,” said Montreal.

Mr. Lawler is the teacher that inspires Montreal the most. She likes how he’s a sweet person and is a people person “Every time we go somewhere he finds someone he knows, I don’t even know how he can do that.” Montreal herself struggles with being open and talking to people like Mr. Lawler does. 

Montreal doesn’t care too much about Weedsport’s new mascot, she just didn’t want it to be the Shamrocks. Montreal said she has nothing against shamrocks, and she herself is Irish, but Montreal thinks a mascot should be an animal not an object. If Montreal could pick a mascot herself it would be a woodchuck because it goes with the Envirothon team which Montreal is involved in. 

If Montreal could describe herself in one word it would be “confused or air headed.” She said she doesn’t mean it in a bad way but it’s true and she’s accepted it. She feels that it takes a long time for her to understand things most times.