The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

Students Should Consider a Career in the Construction Field

For students looking to build a career in the construction field, the future looks pretty good! Despite the fact that Americans are not really looking towards the bridges, highways, buildings, etc. that need more work now, they will soon. The way technology is going, in the future we can expect more sustainable and efficient building practices. There will be an increased use of robotics, 3d printing, and modular construction which means projects will be done faster, reduced costs, and eco-friendly buildings.

It is a good idea to get into construction for current students because there’s a variety of career opportunities like architecture, engineering, project management, or hands-on construction. Another good reason is because the construction industry is always in demand so there’s always job security and stability. It’s also a field where you can see your work, and it can be really rewarding seeing your work! Construction allows you to develop practical skills and work in a collaborative environment, which is a value to personal and professional growth.

Students can get into construction by taking BOCES their junior and senior year. They can also look into apprenticeships, networking, and gain experience by working part time jobs that are construction related.

Tyler Bell, a senior at Moravia High School taking Small Engine Repair at BOCES, plans to work in construction in his future. When asked why he chose this path he said, “I like to work hard and get to use big machines to operate on and have good benefits and good pay.”

Many believe that America’s infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, and public transportation systems, is in need of repair and improvement. Construction plays a role in this by building and maintaining these essential structures, ensuring that they are safe and efficient. Another reason construction will grow is the need for affordable housing, the issue is a concern in many parts of this country. Construction can help by building more affordable housing units and developing solutions to address this problem. Another one is renewable energy, as this world strives for a transition to more sustainable energy sources, construction can contribute by building renewable energy infrastructure like solar and wind farms. Another one is disaster resilience, with the increase in of natural disasters, construction can play a role in building resilient structures that can withstand these events.