The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

A Look Back at Weedsport’s Fall Sports

Leaves changing colors, pumpkin spice smell in the air, cold nights, and students on bleachers all dressed for whatever theme was chosen, screaming for touchdowns. Touchdowns, long miles, and sticks hitting the ground are all that are talked about during the fall season. During the fall season, Weedsport’s football, cross country, and field hockey teams had a great fall season. So many wins and so many memories for our seniors. Two students from each sports team were asked questions about their fall season. 

Football: 

Nobody can argue that Weedsport loves their football team. The late night games, exciting themes, and anticipation of getting the ball is what makes these games so enjoyable. This year Weedsport’s football team had a major comeback to last year. This season they won multiple games and made it to sectionals. Having a strong student section this year has definitely made the biggest impact on the team. In the halls it can be noticed the team appears more excited for games and more confident. To figure out how the athletes are really feeling they were asked questions about their season. 

James Renner (Senior)

Q: How would you say the season went for you individually?

A: I would say I had a good season for not playing for the past two years. I was one of the best receivers of the team and one of the best kids in the secondary. 

Q: How do you think the season went for the rest of the team?

A: I feel like we had a good year compared to last year going 0-8 and now we’re in the sectional semi-finales.

Q: What were some of your best memories from football?

A: Scoring my first touchdown and  winning a bunch of games.

Q: What do you think you will miss most about being on the team?

A: Definitely the guys. Everybody on the team.

Mason Kocur (Sophomore)

Q: How would you say the football season went for you individually?

A: I would say it’s pretty good, it’s a pretty fun season. I got to play football with my boys and we were actually winning this year.

A: Good because we were winning.

Q: How was being on varsity and how was it different from being on varsity last year?

A: It’s pretty fun. Last year I just grew. This year my role changed in the team.

Q: What do you think next season is going to be like?

A: I think it’s going to be tough with the loss of our seniors but we’ll be able to come back.

These two students are in different grade levels but they both had the same outlook on the team and the season. James Renner, a valued senior at Weedsport and Mason Kocur Weedsport’s new QB1 shared the feeling that the 2023 football season was good because of the wins and the friends they made on the way who are now like a family. It’s safe to say these two will have high standards for their future teams. 

Field Hockey: 

Men’s sports may be interesting and tough but women’s sports are so much more. Weedsport’s field hockey team is filled with girls who are passionate, excited, and 100% into their sport. No matter if you’re on modified, jv, or varsity it can be noticed that the competitive behavior is strong. The field hockey team put up a good fight this season with multiple wins as well as making it to the sectional semi-final. What a great way to end the field hockey season for our seniors. An upperclassmen and an underclassmen were asked questions on the 2023 field hockey season.

Peyton DeMaio (Senior)

A: I feel like it went really good. I progressed a lot from the beginning of the year and I feel like individually I got better as the season went on.

A: I feel like we were really well bonded and we grew as a team together and we learned what we don’t like and what we like as a team so we just grew as a team and that made us better.

Q: How has field hockey impacted your high school experience?

A: I feel like it’s helped me grow like it keeps me on top of my schedule, it keeps me on top of my work and it just has been a great experience for me.

Q: What do you think were some of your best highlights?

A: I would say when I dove for the ball I stopped it in front of the goal and just like carrying out the field I feel like I did really good on that this year.

Q: How do you think the kids moving up are going to do?

A: I feel like they’re going to do great. I feel like they have really strong kids coming up and they’re losing us but they’re getting great kids too.

Amelia Bradtke (Sophomore)

A: Pretty good. I think I improved a lot skill wise and my mindset and thinking and I was able to make new relationships with different people that I normally wouldn’t talk to if it wasn’t for my sports team.

A: Pretty good I think. I think the same for what I said about myself happened with a lot of other people and relationships and new friendships with people. Everybody improved skill wise it was just overall a really good season.

Q: What do you think next year will be like for you?

A: I feel like since there’s the seniors leaving and I love the seniors but I feel like since there’s seniors leaving there’s going to be a lot more spots open so we’re gonna be able to play in different spots maybe just learn different positions and things.

Q: How are you feeling about new kids trying out for the team?

A: I’m a little nervous because it just means we have to adjust to new people and how they play so it’s going to  change the way we are on the field.

Peyton DeMaio and Amelia Bradtke both express that field hockey has bonded them together with people they now consider to be close friends. Both students are looking forward to the new field hockey season already even though Peyton is graduating. Peyton has said that she is going to stop by and keep in touch with everyone on the team. As for Amelia Bradtke she has a lot of work ahead of her for the next season with new team members. But both upperclassmen and underclassmen can conclude that the 2023 field hockey season was one to remember. 

Cross Country: 

Not many students at Weedsport are fans of running, even the ones who play sports but Weedsport’s Cross Country team can disagree. For the Cross Country team the breeze against their skin, the beating of their hearts, and the exhilaration of getting better times each meet is exactly why they love this sport. This sport isn’t everyone’s first pick but for these kids they get to experience a sport that’s more than winning. This sport is about feeling the nature around you while also trying to be the best you can be. These students answer questions relating to their cross country season. 

Olivia Snodgrass (Junior)

Q: How would you say the cross country season went for you individually?

A: Definitely really good. I improved a lot on my times like a lot from last year and I’m just looking forward to next year. 

Q: How would you say it went for the rest of the team?

A: I think everybody else also did improve a lot and I’m proud of everybody.

Q: What were some of your best moments from the season or just in general?

A: Well I’m really happy about my time on our course because I mean our course definitely isn’t easy at all and I just got under 22 so I was happy about that because I didn’t know I would do that this year.

Q: How do you think next year will go?

A: I think next year will be really good. I’m ready cause I’ll train a lot during the winter, spring, summer and we’ll see what happens.

Dexter Barnhart (Junior) 

Q: How would you say the cross country season went for you?

A: I did pretty good I’d say. I progressed well with my times and where I wanted to be by the end of the season.

A: I think everyone did pretty good and I’m happy with how they did. 

Q: What were some of your best moments from this season?

A: That’s tough. I would definitely have to say the New York City trip because everyone just got to hangout with each other and have fun.

Q: What do you think next year is going to be like?

A: Next year will be pretty good since we will have most of the same people because we only have one senior that’s leaving. I feel like we’ll be really good next season because everyone’s going to be progressing more and we have a lot of hard workers. 

The 2023 cross country season for Weedsport was one to remember all the way from the practices, students breaking new times, and down to the New York City trip. It is with no doubt that Olivia Snodgrass and Dexter Barnhart are mentally the strongest on their team. Both students are always leading their teams and giving them the best wishes and advice for their meets. Next year both runners are going to have their hands full making new team members comfortable and also trying to improve on their own running times. Who knows what the 2024 Cross Country season will bring for Olivia and Dexter.