The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

The Johnny Green

The student news site of Weedsport

Saltburn Masterfully Shows the High Cost of Strong Desire

The new Saltburn movie is a sensational hit. You either like it or you don’t like it. It’s either a perfect cinematic piece or absolutely horrible. This isn’t where salt is being burned, this movie has an exponential twist and no one ever saw it coming. 

There were some shocking scenes in this movie that go towards the decision on people liking or disliking this movie. To be honest, this movie can be very disturbing, and if you get disturbed easily, do not watch this movie. There is a very good story behind this movie, although it is very hard to identify the message that this story gives, it is quite a beautiful message. 

This movie can be seen as eating the rich and getting what you want. It really isn’t though. Oliver (the main character played by Barry Keoghan) was a fairly wealthy kid who went to a good school, lived in a nice house, his mom was upper middle class, and had quite a bit of money. Throughout this movie it can be very confusing in certain situations. Oliver lies about his mother being an addict, and when Felix (played by Jacob Elordi) found out that’s when it all started to go downhill. It was all weird but plain in the beginning of the movie. At first it looked like Oliver was starting to have a crush on Felix, but it started to accelerate and get confusing. There were scenes in the movie where it can be extremely disturbing and uncomfortable to watch, and those scenes are not related to the movie so you can skip them and won’t miss the plot. 

This movie was shot in a matter of days. They filmed this movie in an old film type to give it a rich and saturated color to make it more appealing, and they filmed at a squared type of angle to give it a little bit of a spy feeling, as if someone else is witnessing what is happening in real life. The Saltburn house wasn’t a prop or greenscreen like normal houses are in movies, this was a real house in England called Drayton House in Northamptonshire. The acting was phenomenal in this movie. Keoghan (Oliver), did such an amazing job with carrying his role all the way out. When having a plot as big as this movie’s plot you need exponential acting skills from people, and Elordi and Keoghan gave us those skills. We all know the movie Priscilla that just came out, well Saltburn was filmed only three weeks before Priscilla was going to be filmed. In an interview Elordi said, “I made Priscilla three weeks after Saltburn. So they’re strangely both meshed together in my head because I’d shoot all day in London, and then I’d go home to my Elvis cave, which was my hotel room, which was sort of all pictures of Priscilla.”

The plot is very confusing because it gives you absolutely no clue at what is going to happen. One thing in the world that everyone wants, is to be rich like all the famous people, because money can buy happiness, right? Oliver had money, it wasn’t about eating the rich it was about desire. Oliver hated Felix and that whole family, but he did what he did because of his desires and thoughts. Oliver also loved Felix, but his whole plan was very methodical and careful, that he could never love Felix in the way that people thought. 

This is a good movie if you want a good plot without knowing what is going to happen. This is also a very truthful story about the lengths that people are willing to go to get what they want, to fulfill their desires. To understand more about this movie you need to watch it on your own and determine whether or not it is a cinematic masterpiece or dreadfully horrible.