WHS Girls Track Team Pushes Through Rebuilding Season

Ben Grieco, Staff Writer

The Weedsport Girls Varsity Track team has come back and is looking to do even better than last year. Despite few runners on the cross country team, the track team has many more athletes.

Many of the top performers last year were juniors and sophomores, and a majority have returned this season to help the girls live up to the challenging standards of head coach, Mrs. Haynes, physical education teacher here at Weedsport.

“I think [the season] looks better than years past as of now, because there are more girls,” said senior Morgan Besner, “so there are more opportunities to place in events.” The team participated in what is known as the C-1 section of Class C That section contained the more talented schools, but all of the same size. Coach Haynes said at the athletic banquet, that she hoped to be moved to the other section where they face schools more “comparable” to them. This year, they are in C-2.

The top throwers have been junior Jada Sterling, and Kascey Relfe. The team unfortunately has a small number of throwers compared to most teams. However, they have a decent amount of high, long, and triple jumpers, including some of the top performers being: sophomore Lexi Appleby, for the Triple Jump, and sophomore Nicole Soutar for the High Jump.

Besner and Natalie Mogavero have led the long distance events for the Warriors, trying to add as many points as they can. The team’s fastest sprinter has been freshman Ashley Wightman.

Thus far, the girls are 2-5 on the season. They, along with the boys, head to the Weedsport Invitational on our own track, this Saturday, May 9.