A Review of Star Wars:Battlefront

A Review of Star Wars:Battlefront

Jacob Roden, Staff Writer

It has been ten years since the last Battlefront game that was released in 2005 for the Playstation 2, and the Xbox. So here’s a review on the new 2015 Star Wars: Battlefront.

Missions

There is no definitive story to this game. There are mission modes to the game. In this mode you can play survival where you face fifteen waves of enemies that get continually harder to defeat. There’s also Battles, where you fight along with either the Rebel Alliance or the Empire, you can fight against a friend or an enemy AI in head-to-head combat. These missions will really put your skills to the test. Training Missions will let you fly an X-wing over the canyons of Tatooine, chase down Rebel scum in your speeder bike, or even fight as Darth Vader. This Mission type will become an excellent pilot and a danger on the battlefield. There are more, but I don’t want to spoil it.

Multiplayer

In the multiplayer aspect you can play nine different game types. There is the classic Walker Assault. It’s twenty versus twenty where the rebels have to stop the two massive AT-ATs. There are points all around the map for the rebels to capture to allow the Y-wings to drop the shields on the AT-ATs. The empire just has to make sure the rebels don’t capture the points and to make sure the AT-ATs stay alive. In Fighter Squadron you can dogfight as memorable starships like Tie fighters, X-wings, the Millennium Falcon, and Slave 1. Also there’s Heros vs Villians. It is a six versus six game mode where three people on both sides are either the Heros that are Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Leia Organa. The other team would become the Villains which contain Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, and Boba Fett. One of the good modes is Blast. It’s a team deathmatch game mode that is ten versus ten, fast paced, and packed with chaotic fun. Finally one of my personal favorites is Cargo. It’s basically capture the flag but with laser blasters, jump packs, and explosions.

Reviews

I interviewed some students to get their opinion on the game.

Question #1: How did you like the mission aspects?

They were ok. It is more of a multiplayer aspect game and the only “missions” there are is a co-op campaign survival. –Chris Stricklin

I thought they were fun but they were lacking a lot. –Jon Wejko

Question #2. How did you enjoy the multiplayer quality?

The multiplayer is ok not great. It is basically a copy and paste of Call of Duty in Star Wars form. I wish it had been more broad and refined as EA had promised.-Chris Stricklin

I liked it. but I know realism isn’t something to expect from a Star Wars videogame. I didn’t like the whole idea of infinite ammo because even though it was a lot of ammo capacity in the movies and in the books it was not infinite, and also the weapons have no recoil which made no sense. –Jon Wejko

Question #3. How was the ranking system?

The ranking system bugs me. It is basically Call of Duty like I said, but cheaper. You can buy yourself to the top then stay there with the most overpowered weapons in the game unlocked at higher levels. And when I say buy, I mean microtransactions.-Chris Stricklin

I thought it was ok I mean it wasn’t perfect. –Jon Wejko

Question #4. How were the controls?

Comfortable I guess? Again it’s a copy and paste of Call of Duty so go ahead and play that game and you have the controls.-Chris Stricklin

The controls were easy enough, I mean it was PC so I really couldn’t go as fast as I  wanted to. –Jon Wejko

Question #5. How was it overall?

Overall it’s not great. Just another game that will be stacked on the shelves to be shoveled into the mouths of the consumers by big businesses. Which upsets me because a game such as that has so much potential to be something great.-Chris Stricklin

It was overall good, I mean I disliked that I couldn’t go pro. -Jon Wejko