The Johnny Green

Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Back to Article
Back to Article

Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Jocelyn Kepple, Staff Member

When you’re a 6-year-old girl on the playground, you could honestly care less about what the world thinks about you. But when you’re a 16-year-old girl in high school, you most likely don’t have the same confidence you had 10 years ago.

Confidence is key to getting through just about anything in life, especially high school. Confidence is needed as a teammate, student, and friend. It’s also a good leadership quality that can take you further in life.

How to get that 6-year-old self back

Nobody is actually perfect: When we use social media like Instagram, we filter out flaws to have that perfect picture and profile. Don’t be afraid to show off your personality and be yourself.

Learn to laugh at yourself: As I said before – nobody’s perfect – so embrace your imperfections.

Spend time offline: When you spend time looking at a screen you miss moments off screen, like time with family and friends. So sign off for a little bit, it’s ok to take a break.

Learn to mute those voices: Another reason to take a break from Instagram is to stop comparing yourself to others. Maybe read a book instead of a fashion magazine. Turn on some Bruno Mars to mute out those voices that tell you that you are anything less than perfect. ‘Cause you’re amazing, just the way you are.’

Appreciate your real body: change only what you can. It’s ok to brush your hair, wash your face and hopefully shower frequently. But it’s not ok to starve yourself to become a smaller body weight.
We don’t usually post anything when we are having a bad hair day or when you’re feeling tearful after a heated argument. We don’t even post anything when we have acne. We only post pictures that we look good in and feel good in because we want to be seen as perfect. Truth is nobody is absolutely perfect so it’s ok to have flaws in your profile like a picture of your hair blowing in your face.

You make mistakes because you are human and you are human because you make mistakes.
Be confident in your identity, be that 6 year old girl inside you. That’s where confidence comes from.

About the Contributors
Jocelyn Kepple, Staff Member

Jocelyn Kepple is currently a sophomore at Weedsport. She is both a photographer and writer for The Johnny Green. In her free time, she enjoys writing,...

Julie Cook, Staff Member

Julie Cook is a freshman at Weedsport. This is her first year of being part of The Johnny Green and she plans on doing illustrations. If she's not drawing,...

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

Your Guide to Sneaker Culture

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

How Old is Too Old To Trick or Treat?

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

Is The New iPhone Worth It?

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

An Editor’s Departure

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

“To Extend The Hand Or To Strike With It”: America’s Rehabilitation Problem

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

Looking For Summer Fun? Head to Disney!

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

A New Way to Sleep

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Arts and Entertainment

Oscars Overview

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

Behind the Music: A Look at The Addams Family Pit Band

• Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror

Features

The Logan Paul Effect

The student news site of Weedsport CSD
Learn To Love the Girl in the Mirror